1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What breeds are these 3 week old chicks?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Blondie, Mar 27, 2007.

1. Blondie

Blondie Chillin' With My Peeps

Here's some pics of my chicks. I ordered the "Rainbow Layers' from McMurray Hatchery, but it's hard to tell what they are. Anyone want to take a guess?

[​IMG]
    What is the black & white one on the left and the speckled one on the right?

[​IMG]
    This non-descript grey one is the friendliest and most outgoing of the bunch. What is she?

[​IMG]
    Is the yellow one a RIR?

thanks everyone![​IMG]

2. Jimagination

Jimagination Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2007
    Lancaster, PA
    I don't know, but that speckled one is beautiful!

3. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

I could be wrong, but I think the hatcheries call Easter Eggers "Rainbow Layers".
    They are soo cute! [​IMG]
    Did you put them on the branch or did they get up there themselves?

4. Blondie

They jump on the branch themselves. I put it in the chicken coop last week when they started jumping over the draft shield and started wandering around the rest of the coop. Here's a pic of their home. You can see the branch on the right side. they are also jumping on the nesting boxes and the roosts in the sheltered area. >[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Southern Chickens

Southern Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    NorthWest Florida
    The speckled one looks to me like an Americana, with the green legs. The little buff one is not a RIR! I think the it may be a red sex-link, they lay brown eggs. I have no idea on the black & white or the grey one. Great pictures! I have 35 of them that age. The RIR are more red. Here's one of my RIR.

[​IMG]

Anyone know what these two are?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2007
  6. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    I don't know what any of them are, but the yellow one is not a RIR. They are indeed much redder.

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

The yellow one is a Buff Orpington, I believe. I have two and they are wonderful girls. You do have an Easter Egger. I saw a couple of little roosters in the bunch, I think. Did you order roosters?

8. Blondie

I ordered pullets. But when they were delivered, 5 extra peeps were included. Remember the beginning of March with all the harsh, cold weather around the US? They were put in for warmth, so I'm sure I got a couple of boys. Which ones do you think are roosters?

[​IMG]
    Here's a pic of them basking in this morning's sun.

9. TheBigWRanch

TheBigWRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    Wenatchee, Washington
    I don't know what breed the black and white one is, but it is the same color as my mottled Cochins and Mottled Japanese, so maybe it is some breed of Mottled colored egg layer.

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I'm sorry Blondie! That was SouthernChick's picture! Didn't mean to scare you. She has at least one Barred Rock cockerel and a whitish colored boy in her pictures. My mistake!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by