What breeds are these chickens?

Lily97

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 25, 2012
Delaware County, PA
We just got two new chickens and I was just curious about what breeds they are. The new ones are the one on the left and the middle one in the picture. Any input would be great! Thanks!

We just got two new chickens and I was just curious about what breeds they are. The new ones are the one on the left and the middle one in the picture. Any input would be great! Thanks!
I'm just gonna tell you all of them starting from the stripy one it's a barred rock . A black leghorn. And a Easter egger

Your poofy headed hen is a silkie mix, and the white bird is probably a Mincora. Black leghorn isn't an impossibility, but they're much more rare than Mincoras. Could also be a black Andalusian.

Your silkie mix should lay a tinted egg, and the black hen will lay white eggs.

Actually the striped one is a Cuckoo Marans. We've had her for about a year. And the one on the left doesn't really seem like a silky mix. She's bigger and she only has regular feathers. I've heard about top hat chickens--could she be one of those?

Actually the striped one is a Cuckoo Marans. We've had her for about a year. And the one on the left doesn't really seem like a silky mix. She's bigger and she only has regular feathers. I've heard about top hat chickens--could she be one of those?
The brownish buff one is no doubt a silkie mix.she has the little crest silies have.She also has slight foot feathering, which adds up correctly, since feathered feet/legs is a dominate trait.
Your poofy headed hen is a silkie mix, and the white bird is probably a Mincora. Black leghorn isn't an impossibility, but they're much more rare than Mincoras. Could also be a black Andalusian.

Your silkie mix should lay a tinted egg, and the black hen will lay white eggs.
X2

Silkie feathering is a recessive trait, so silkie mixes have regular feathers. I called silkie mix for the half crest, the dark skin, the beard, the turquoise earlobe, lightly feathered legs and I think I see a 5th toe there--not positive. she might make a nice broody for you if you're so inclined to hatch chicks.

The feather footed cuckoo Marans is cool--kinda rare, it seems, to have the Cuckoo be feather footed. How dark are her eggs? Cuckoos don't seem to lay especially dark eggs, but I'm wondering if the feathered legs means someone had stricter breeding criteria.

Silkie feathering is a recessive trait, so silkie mixes have regular feathers. I called silkie mix for the half crest, the dark skin, the beard, the turquoise earlobe, lightly feathered legs and I think I see a 5th toe there--not positive. she might make a nice broody for you if you're so inclined to hatch chicks.

The feather footed cuckoo Marans is cool--kinda rare, it seems, to have the Cuckoo be feather footed. How dark are her eggs? Cuckoos don't seem to lay especially dark eggs, but I'm wondering if the feathered legs means someone had stricter breeding criteria.
the feathers are recessive (the fluff on the body). But feathered feet/legs is a dominate trait. You cross a brahma, cochin, silkie, and so on the offspring will have at least a little bit of feathers or stubbles on their feet/legs. I have tested it out

the feathers are recessive (the fluff on the body). But feathered feet/legs is a dominate trait. You cross a brahma, cochin, silkie, and so on the offspring will have at least a little bit of feathers or stubbles on their feet/legs. I have tested it out
I know feathered legs are dominant. That's one of the reasons I listed justifying silkie mix as my choice, one parent had feathered legs.

Back
Top Bottom