What breeds are these ladies?

AppleHen

In the Brooder
11 Years
Dec 15, 2008
I got all of these from the McMurray Rainbow Egg Layer Special. They are all about 6 months old.

19845_mysterybreed.jpg

#2 (she is on the small side)
19845_mystery-breed2.jpg

19845_mystery-breed3.jpg

19845_mystery-breed4.jpg

19845_mystery-breed5.jpg

THANKS for your help!

Here are my guesses:

1. black sex-link
2. dark cornish
3. australorp (maybe not because I can't see what kind of comb)
4. new hampshire red
5. maybe another australorp?

Quote:
Agreed, except #3 looks more like a sexlink to me. Check the chest on #3 for some brown feathers - if she has any brown at all she's a black sexlink instead of an australorp.

Thanks! How do you tell the difference in RIR and NHR?
I also meant to mention that #3 has slight feathering on her legs and her feet are also slightly webbed...

I've been looking around and I think I've found out what #3 is-- a Black Langshan. It's hard to tell from the pic but she does have feathers on her legs.

Also I have a question about another pullet that I have... I think she is a Buff Orpington, but she is really small. Are BO slow to mature?

I guess it's possible. I didn't see a bantam version on the hatchery webpage that I ordered from, but I just ordered a "mix" so I got all sorts of breeds...

The hen that I thought was a Buff Orpington isn't. She looks similar, but is smaller and has white ear patches. I finally found out what she is - a Buff Minorca! I was wondering who else was laying little white eggs.

19845_buff-minorca.jpg

Back
Top Bottom