What breeds are these pullets?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by peachyweechy, May 17, 2011.

1. peachyweechy

peachyweechy New Egg

Jun 4, 2009
    I was given a mixed flock of 9. The only ones I'm sure about are the silver spangled Hamburgs (and my own Jersey Giants in the background). The new hens all are reported to have begun laying around November of last year and all lay a small egg but bigger than a bantam. The former owner said for sure that the Hamburgs layed the white eggs but they all look white to me after having raised Jersey Giants for 2 years. She told me some of them layed brown eggs but I can't remember now which ones.

Speckled Sussex suspect.
    [​IMG]

The one on the right has a little beard under her chin, the one on the leftt does not. They are similar in color but not quite the same so not sure they are related. They are almost or about as big as the (suspected) Sussex.
    [​IMG]

Same two pullets, different view. This time the bearded one is on the left.
    [​IMG]

And then there is this girl, she's about the size of my largest Hamburg pullet, maybe a little larger.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  2. peachyweechy

peachyweechy New Egg

Jun 4, 2009
    I'm sorry, I don't know how to make my pictures open up when the post opens.

.................update - Obviously I figured it out! [​IMG] :)

3. smokeykk

smokeykk Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    I would say the first is a SS and the second possibly and EE?

4. orientphoenix

orientphoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    go to uploads and press browse then it will take u to ur computer page or desktop and look for ur pictures, press the pics and submit, afterwards then take the image url and post on the page u need it on

5. peachyweechy

peachyweechy New Egg

Jun 4, 2009
    Quote:I'm not getting any blue or green eggs though.

6. smokeykk

smokeykk Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Pennsylvania
  7. Amyable

Amyable Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Greenleaf, WI
    Third pic, middle bird is definitely an EE; they don't necessarily lay blue or green eggs, can be brown, tinted, anything really. Perhaps the one with the little beard is a Welsummer cross?
    That last girl looks a lot like a Vorwerk Bantam, according to Storey's Illustrated Poultry.

8. peachyweechy

peachyweechy New Egg

Jun 4, 2009
    Quote:Then it is the EE who has the beard (middle bird in 3rd pic). The one with her head down on the right has no beard. Sorry, I didn't even consider the SS on the clear left side of the page when I titled the pictures. I'm not even sure I'm calling it correctly, the beard that is. Maybe it is tufts? The other bird doesn't have it though.

Hmm, maybe they're mutts!

Wow, that last one does resemble a Vorwerk, doesn't she? I'd never even looked at them before.

9. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

I have only recently discovered the lovely vorwerk breed & have some eggs on the way! Soooo excited! [​IMG]

10. RhodeRunner

RhodeRunner Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Ashtabula, Ohio
    1) Speckled Sussex
    The two matching brown hens look like Easter Eggers. Easter Eggers do not have any set appearance, or egg color. So you can get brown eggs from E.E hens.
    Bottom hen could also be a Golden Lakenvelder.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by