What breeds are these TS chicks

Ximena

Chirping
May 14, 2016
Hi everyone. I just got 4 bantams from Tractor Supply. Any ideas for breeds?

#1 - I'm thinking a bantam polish
IMG_0678.JPG
IMG_0676.JPG

#2- I'm thinking either a bantam cochin or light brahma
IMG_0675.JPG

IMG_0674.JPG

#3 - I don't have any idea about this. Slightly vaulted skull and cheek fluff but clean legged. Does TS sell crosses?
IMG_0672.JPG

#4 - the smallest of the batch. I am thinking an old english game bantam
IMG_0670.JPG

IMG_0669.JPG

#1 - I'm thinking a bantam polish

#2- I'm thinking either a bantam cochin or light brahma

#3 - I don't have any idea about this. Slightly vaulted skull and cheek fluff but clean legged. Does TS sell crosses?

#1 yes, probably a white crested black polish

#2 yes, probably a cochin or light brahma. A good pic of the comb might sort that out--they are supposed to have different comb types. (Or wait until it grows a few months older, and it'll probably become obvious from the feather color/pattern.)

#3 Probably a gold laced Polish, or a gold Brabanter. Both have black and gold feathers, crest, and clean legs; both can have the puffy cheeks (muff/beard); and both look a lot like that as chicks. (Both black-and-gold, but different patterns of black on the gold feathers when they're grown up.)

The third is likely a black silkie.

I think not silkie because the feet are not fuzzy, and because I don't see a 5th toe.
I think not black because I see some gold feathers already growing in the wing (in the last photo, where there are two chicks.)

Last edited:
I love Bantams and yours are adorable. Pretty sure the last one is an OEG and if the one is a Cochin you will love it. I have two Partridge Cochin hens and they are sweethearts. They sure do love to go broody too.

Ok update: Chicks are 7 weeks old now. Unfortunately #2 died. We're not exactly sure why but we found her dead and buried in the shavings one morning. Body intact, no visible signs of injury :(.

Here are the pictures of the others:
#1 Definitely a bantam white crested black polish.
65094FB3-3DDB-4812-A575-ABEE825EA416_1_105_c.jpeg

#2 I'm thinking an old english game bantam (much smaller than the others) maybe a Japanese bantam?
Screen Shot 2020-05-27 at 11.08.31 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-27 at 11.08.53 AM.png

#3 I still have no earthly clue what this one is. The crest isn't the right shape for a polish but seems to big for a brabanter. Still much bigger than the other ones so it is either a large bantam or small standard sized chicken.
E9CBAD6F-4A53-440A-A7B7-EFBB1819707D_1_105_c.jpeg

C3885374-D041-4438-8341-68212403C87C_1_105_c.jpeg

What do you guys think?

Ok update: Chicks are 7 weeks old now. Unfortunately #2 died. We're not exactly sure why but we found her dead and buried in the shavings one morning. Body intact, no visible signs of injury :(.

Here are the pictures of the others:
#1 Definitely a bantam white crested black polish.
View attachment 2162465

#2 I'm thinking an old english game bantam (much smaller than the others) maybe a Japanese bantam?
View attachment 2162469
View attachment 2162471

#3 I still have no earthly clue what this one is. The crest isn't the right shape for a polish but seems to big for a brabanter. Still much bigger than the other ones so it is either a large bantam or small standard sized chicken.
View attachment 2162475

View attachment 2162478

What do you guys think?
Looking at Hoover's website (which is who TSC orders through) I think it is supposed to be a Gold Laced Polish. That is quite the crest isn't it? :gig

Looking at Hoover's website (which is who TSC orders through) I think it is supposed to be a Gold Laced Polish. That is quite the crest isn't it? :gig
I have a TSC (Hoover's) "Golden Laced Polish" hen that I got as a baby chick last August and she has that same funky crest. But she has been a prolific layer since she began laying earlier this year averaging 6 eggs per week. And she is very friendly and inquisitive.

Back
Top Bottom