1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What Breeds are these?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ILikeBirds, Jan 6, 2015.

1. ILikeBirds

ILikeBirds Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2014
    SW Washington
    Hello all!

I have a couple breeds that I'm curious about. I got them from craigslist where they were advertised as mixed breeds, so I guess they could really be anything. Sorry for the blurry or bad quality photo's, any help would be appreciated!

I'm pretty sure this first one is a red sex-link, but I wanted to verify. I didn't get this one off of craigslist, but from my brothers friend who didn't know what it was.

[​IMG]

This is Harriet, my RIR. But I suspect she has a little bit of something else in her. I also noticed she has white legs and not yellow like my other RIR's.
    [​IMG]

This is Ginger, I suspect some Welsumer? Maybe?

[​IMG]

Ginger and Harriet, my suspected Welsumer and RIR.
    [​IMG]

And finally, who I'm most curious about is Gretchen. She's a banty, who looks like she has some polish or Welsumer in her?

[​IMG]

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    First bird does look like a rsl.
    Harriet looks to me like she has some Speckled Sussex in there somewhere. They are mahogany based, like a good RIR, and the speckling is recessive, so it is easy to lose in a cross. Sussex have white legs and skin, and her body shape just looks more Sussex to me. Not sure what she could be mixed with.
    Ginger could be a hatchery Welsummer. Does she lay dark eggs?
    Gretchen is a silkie mix. Not sure what she is mixed with, those silkie characteristics often make it hard to seeing what else is in the mix. Her silkie parent could have been partridge colored. She is a cute little thing and could easily go broody on you.

2 people like this.
  3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Gretchen is very likely a silky cross.

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree.

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree with these guesses.

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I agree as well with donrae.

7. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Does Gretchen lay eggs yet?

8. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    I agree as well.

9. ILikeBirds

ILikeBirds Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2014
    SW Washington
    That's shocking that Gretchen is a silkie mix! I never would have imagined, although I am fairly new to chickens. Harriet and Gretchen are my two favorites so it's cool to know where they came from.

Ginger does lay eggs, although they are not as dark as I would think? I'll post a pic below.

Gretchen does lay eggs.

Gretchen's egg is on the left, and Ginger's is on the right. Gretchen's is bigger than Ginger's! Crazy huh?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
  10. buddy phoenix

buddy phoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2012
    possum snout
    See if picture posts wondering what breed this is I bought at a auction

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by