What breeds are too small for Brahma rooster?

OzarkChooks

Songster
Jul 12, 2021
I have an almost 3 month old light brahma cockerel. I was watching him today and he is the same size as my 7 month old salmon faverolle pullet. Is he going to potentially hurt some of my hens due to size? I have a variety of breeds but the smallest so far seem to be my exchequer leghorns, speckled sussex and salmon faverolle. Will he leave the small ones alone?

Possibly.

You won't know for sure until it happens.

I have only had a couple of brahma roosters. The one that I tried to keep did cause feather loss on the backs of the hens.

But then.... I have also had a few smaller males also cause feather loss on the backs of the hens.

There are several factors at play.
1. The feather quality of the hens
2. The manners/ability of the rooster
3. The weight of the rooster in relation to the hen
4. Spur size

As to the rooster simply squashing the hen.... I think that might be a risk with the Brahma over a bantam.... but not with the breeds you mention.

And the rooster will not leave the smaller ones alone. He will breed everything that he can.

The Leghorns and Sussex might be good enough fliers to avoid him.

I have an almost 3 month old light brahma cockerel. I was watching him today and he is the same size as my 7 month old salmon faverolle pullet. Is he going to potentially hurt some of my hens due to size? I have a variety of breeds but the smallest so far seem to be my exchequer leghorns, speckled sussex and salmon faverolle. Will he leave the small ones alone?
I recommend you get a Bielefelder rooster and a couple hens for your flock.They're a rare and beautiful breed and the roosters are docile. You might earn a little cash from chicks.

Yes, I can attest to the big roosters being too much for small chickens (bantams) but yours may be okay. I have a quite good sized lavender Orpington and he is always trying to mount my silkies. He is pretty gentle (for a rooster) but they don’t like it and he does step on them and squish them some. As soon as my young pullets are full sized I will be moving him in with only standard chickens and making a bantam coop. They will still share a run, but it’s less time and he’ll have more ladies to distract him.

You can see their size difference, it’s quite substantial. They’re the same age!

Attachments

• 00A4B622-EFC0-4D62-A4F2-45FBDFC9C006.jpeg
    00A4B622-EFC0-4D62-A4F2-45FBDFC9C006.jpeg
    633.5 KB · Views: 38

Back
Top Bottom