1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What breeds lay what color eggs?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by AdanMtz, Apr 9, 2010.

1. AdanMtz

AdanMtz Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2010
    Carlsbad, NM
    Which breeds lay which diff colored eggs? Of course, other than the more common white and brown eggs. I am looking into raising a flock with 15 or so hens that would give me some rainbow colored eggs. What diff colored eggs are out there? What breeds are good egg layers (colored eggs of course)? Any info or ideas that would help me make a decision on what diff breeds to go with, would be greatly appreciated

2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    TRUE Ameraucanas lay blue eggs...or go with Easter Eggers, you could get blue, green, pink, or brown eggs from them... [​IMG]

3. ArizonaNessa

ArizonaNessa Joyfully Addicted

Apr 7, 2009
    Texas
    [​IMG] This is an awesome chart that will answer a ton of questions for you. Basically if a chicken has white ear lobes it lays white eggs and red earlobed chickens lay brown with a few exceptions for the tinted egg layers.

This is henderson's breed chart http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

4. Laurieks

Laurieks Where did the time go???

Aug 14, 2009
    Sonoma County, CA
    eggs mostly from Julie gabbard
    [​IMG]
    S=Serama (from SilverPhoenix) PP=Partridge Penesedenca BV=Barnevelder (mine) WS=Welsummer LB=Light Brahma BCM=Black Copper Marans

eggs from my Barnevelders... the darker ones are from the Johan hen (breed selected for winter eggs-color is a bonus)
    [​IMG]

ETA: I like that chart... but have to note... it says LaFleche hens are non brooders.... the one we had was the fiercest, stealthiest brooder we ever had; she hid a huge nest in DH's workshop more than once. And the Barnie eggs aren't as dark as they say, at least mine aren't.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
  5. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Click on the Breed link (top of the page) it tells you what color all the breeds lay, and how well they lay.

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    To get a good variety, you can start out with brown and white. . . Then move on to things like Easter Eggers (advertised as Ameraucanas at hatcheries, but they're not) as they will give you green, blueish green, or pinkish brown eggs. Also, there are chocolate brown egg layers like Marans, Welsummers, and Penedesencas. Then there's Olive Eggers (marans x EE) and also pink egg layers like Jersey Giants or Brahmas. [​IMG]

Oh but if you want true blue, go with Ameraucanas, particularly black ones. [​IMG]

7. simpsoncj

simpsoncj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2009
  8. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    I too, am on the quest for a 'rainbow' of egg colors... My Barred Rocks lay pinkish brown, my BO lay pale brown, my RIR lay dark brown, one of my EE lay a minty green w/ brown spots. The other lays a darker green egg (it is more round) and my true Ameraucana lays a bright aqua blue colored egg.. Several times a week, they all lay and the color in my basket makes me soooo happy..

I am looking to add a few Marans (chocolate brown), true Ameraucanas( more blue), EE (surprise colors) and a white egg layer (maybe Brown Leghorn) to my flock this fall.. Good luck..

9. Keri78

Keri78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2009
    NJ
    Funny! I guess it's a common chickie goal to have a colorful egg basket in the fridge! Here's what I have:
    Cochins-light brown, white, & speckled
    Buff Oprs-brown
    Cuckoo Maran-darker brown
    Black Copper Maran-chocolate
    Olive Eggers-OLIVE GREEN!!!(very cool)
    Easter Eggers-Blue/ Green/ Pinkish
    Speckled Sussex-light brown

10. bethandjoeync

bethandjoeync Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Iron Station, NC
    other than the EE's tented eggs, if you wanted all shades of brown, you can go with RSL chickens. I have mostly RSL chicken and I get all shades of browns. some are quite dark, and some are very light. then my ee's give me green and on gives pinkish

but it's a real crap shoot on what you're going to get with them, because you don't really know the parent stock.

here is an example of what I get (this is from my incubator last year) it's all I have as far as a group of eggs. I don't know if I have any in the coop right now. just sold all my eggs yesterday, so none really to take pics of

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by