What breeds of chicken should I add to my flock? Plz help!!!

MrOrpington16

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 28, 2013
MA
I have to chose two of these Chickens- a black sex link, partridge rock, Ameruacana Plymouth Rock mix or a light brahma...
I want two of these.... I do not want a crazy bird that will fly over a six foot fence.. Lol and very minimal noise! Also I want a good egg layer. Thankyou

I have to chose two of these Chickens- a black sex link, partridge rock, Ameruacana Plymouth Rock mix or a light brahma...
I want two of these.... I do not want a crazy bird that will fly over a six foot fence.. Lol and very minimal noise! Also I want a good egg layer. Thankyou

In order of egg-laying ability, it would most likely be just as you have them listed.

Black Sex Link
Partridge Plymouth Rock
Ameraucana/Plymouth Rock cross
Light Brahma

I do not think any of them will be crazy. But the calmest would probably be the Light Brahma, and that breed also goes broody if you want the hen to hatch eggs.

If you want pure-bred chickens, get the Partridge Plymouth Rock and the Light Brahma.

Also I had heard that Ameraucana hens fly... So I don't know if they are right for me:(

Many chicken breeds can fly over a 6-foot fence when they are young. Then they get heavier and do not fly as well.

You could clip a wing on one side of each hen to prevent flying over the fence.

What is your main reason for having chickens? Eggs? Pets? To decorate the yard?

Back
Top Bottom