What breeds of chickens does everyone have?

TheBigWRanch

Songster
12 Years
Feb 12, 2007
Wenatchee, Washington
I love to know what other people have to get ideas for myself!

I currently have: Red Pyle Old English,Buff Cochins, Sliver Laced Cochins, Golden Neck d'Uccle, Milli Fleur d'Uccle, Self Blue d'Uccle, Black Tailed Buff Japanese, Mottled Japanese, Silver Sebrights, Gray Silkies, Red Silkies, Buff Laced Polish, Silver Laced Polish, Quail d Anvers, and Silver Spangled Hamburgs.

On the 21st I have 94 chicks coming of Blue Red Old English, Cuckoo Old English, Wheaten Old English, Mottled Cochins, Partridge Cochins, White Frizzle Cochins, Buff Columbian d'Uccles, Light Brown Dutch, Porcelain Dutch, White Silkies, Black Breasted Red Cubalayas, Salmon Faverolles, Silver Spangled Spitzhaubens, and Gold Brabanters

In March I plan on ordering: Sultans, Blue Laced Wyandotte Bantams, Delawares, RIR, Buff Orpingtons, Ameraucanas, Spangled Russian Orloffs, and Silver Penciled Egyptain Fayoumi.

Can you tell I can't make up my mind on a favorite breed?

WOW!!! What a list! I feel really inadequate now.
hmm.png

I have two Rhode Island Reds (Rosie and Lucky)
one Barred Plymoth Rock (Betty)
and one Leghorn (Wilma)

Do you name all those chickens? Who are you faves'? How much land do you have?

No only one was named. A Red Silkie, Mr. Friendly, because he always followed me around. I own 5 acres, but have no houses in site so they have plenty of room. My favorites are the roosters. My Belgium Quail and Golden phoenix, and my Hamburg. I just realized I forgot to add that I have Silver and Golden Phoenixs!

My original flock (year old now) consists of Rhode Island Reds, Silver Laced Wyandottes, Buff Orpingtons and Barred Plymouth Rocks. Now, in my up and coming flock in the brooder, I have Blue, Black and Splash Orps, more Barred Rocks, RIR/Buff Orp crosses, Partridge Cochin/Barred Rock crosses, and one possible Phoenix/ Barred Rock cross, and Light and Buff Brahmas.
The crosses were sort of accidental, though, LOL. Long story.

I currently have Salmon Faverolle in bantam, Silkies and Sizzles.
In the incubator I have Speckled Susses, Blue/Black Orphingtons and more Silkies. I still want some Welsummers too and maybe some Phoenix.

I have owned RIR's, Brahmas, Wyanadottes, Rocks, Polish, Buff Orph and d'uccles. I have whittled the flock to my favorite chickens and found homes for the ones that are not nice to me or to each other.
Like so many people, I would love to have some of each but I am on my 4th housing unit and DH is doing heavy sighs and eye rolls.

It is very addicting and now that I have this bug I understand where my son inherted his obsession with his fancies. He has been a collector of things lots longer than me but I now know where he gets his drive.

I like having enough chickens to sell a few eggs and like most others, I'd like to have more varieties... but ...

When I was a boy we lived down a path back off the road and all our chickens ran free. Everything was fine with full size birds but eventually we had a few bantams given to us. They bred without mercy and most roosted in the rafters of a large barn out back.

This didn't fare well with the boat, lawnmower, and other things we stored in there. Manure under control can be good. Manure out of control is messy, caustic, and has such a rich aroma. I think the moral of the story is don't bite off more than you can chew.
wink.png

btt, I like Buff Orpingtons and Silverlaced Wyandots among the others I've had for a small flock that shows well.

smile.png

BigWRanch

where do you get your chickes.

I am interested later in both cuckoo and wheaten Old English

Back
Top Bottom