What breeds of duck should I get?

Angel07

Songster
Mar 11, 2021
Victoria, Australia
So, I've got 8 ducks and some eggs in the incubator (2 of which have hatched) and under a broody. Our drake is purebred runner and our ducks are Cayuga and Cayuga x appleyard. 4 are drakes, 3 of which we're culling this weekend hopefully.

We're selling the runner drake because because he's not working out anymore and needs more girls than dad's letting me keep. We've organised for a Cayuga drake and hopefully we'll be getting him in the next couple of weeks.

What are some other good duck breeds? I want to breed them for meat but would like some good layers too. What's everyone's favourite breeds for what I'm wanting?

You may consider white layers. A bit smaller than Pekins and excellent layers in my experience.

I would take a look at silver appleyard. I don't have any, but I have heard a lot of good things about them. They are a larger breed, so they are good for meat. And people have found they lay a decent number of eggs. People have found them to be a good dual purpose breed, especially for a larger breed of duck.

Yes! White layers are very good layers. Khaki campbells are small but good layers.
I like the white layers but they were just too big for my drake to mate with so he gave them a lot of attitude and they were looking rough. They’re doing great with the Anconas at my sons place, never skipped laying or anything.

So, I've got 8 ducks and some eggs in the incubator (2 of which have hatched) and under a broody. Our drake is purebred runner and our ducks are Cayuga and Cayuga x appleyard. 4 are drakes, 3 of which we're culling this weekend hopefully.

We're selling the runner drake because because he's not working out anymore and needs more girls than dad's letting me keep. We've organised for a Cayuga drake and hopefully we'll be getting him in the next couple of weeks.

What are some other good duck breeds? I want to breed them for meat but would like some good layers too. What's everyone's favourite breeds for what I'm wanting?

my blue Swedish is probably my best layer and they are also a heavy breed which would work for a meet bird as well

Back
Top Bottom