What breeds? Please =) New pics page 3 - PIC HEAVY

Chicks #2 and #3 are definitely Speckled Sussex. If it's comb is flat like it appears in the pic, then chick #1 is the Orloff.
thumbsup.gif

And I think the black one is a cuckoo Maran.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
HAHAHAHA... I am such a newb! I got in some babies 4 weeks ago and thought I had figured out 4 out of the 5 that I had (the one that I am still confused on is the older one posted on this thread) but I was so wrong on one of them. I thought I had a Buffed Laced Polish since the first day she came home. She looked just like all the chick pics I have seen of that breed! I just thought Lady GaGa was special because she had extra toes and feathered legs.... and I kept wondering when her color was going to come in since she is still all white.... DOH!!! She's a WHITE SULTAN! I ran across a baby picture of the Sultan today during my relentless efforts to figure out my new chicks' breeds and it looks SO much like the Polish... then I read up on them - 5 toes, feathered legs... What a surprise!

I probably shouldn't be admitting this... but it made me laugh.

Thanks everyone for all your help. One day I won't be such a newb and I'll be able to help others=)

Thanks all for all your responses... though I'm still confused with my chipmunks and the one's that the hatchery said were RIR are awfully beige.

Last edited:
We got some wyandotte chicks that sure looked like chipmunks for a while. Maybe that's what you have?

most breeds look like chipmunks, it is very difficult to tell the difference at first.

Just to name a few:

Easter Eggers
Welsummer
Speckled Sussex
Wyandotte
Partridge rocks
Brown leghorns
fayoumi's
Old english game

and so many others!!

Quote:
New pic of my now 5 week old (both pics are of Michelle My Belle "Belle" - just one was with a flash and one was not)

45467_img_0682.jpg
45467_img_0688.jpg

My Pet Chicken (where I got her) said possibly a Blue Andalusian - just black or very dark blue.

Last edited:
Updated pics on my little ones.

The smallest white leghorn did not make it. She died the day after she got home.

I am still confused with my "chipmunk" chicks because the hatchery swears they sent me Russian Orloffs though I don't see a rose comb among any of my crew. I've lived on the internet trying to identify my chicks. UGH! To many chicks look like each other!

White Leghorn with black - She's the biggest of the group!
45467_img_0616.jpg
45467_img_0620.jpg

Black Australorp or Cuckoo Maran - still debating with hatchery on this one as well - She's the most curious!
45467_img_0615.jpg
45467_img_0676.jpg

2 RIR or 1 RIR and 1 NHR - again, still debating with hatchery - These two are definitely partners in crime!
45467_img_0292.jpg
45467_img_0303.jpg

And their wing color differences (one is darker than the other... not sure if you can really tell the true colors in these pics)
45467_img_0551.jpg
45467_img_0618.jpg

And my chipmunk chicks - the hatchery said I could have a Russian Orloff, a Speckled Sussex, and a Welsummer.

Chipmunk A - no tail feathers yet - She likes to just sit in your hand... forever - hatchery says orloff - I thought this one was my sussex???
45467_img_0710.jpg

Chipmunk B - Escape Artist - lightest colored one - hatchery says sussex or welsummer
45467_img_0662.jpg

Chipmunk C - Sleepy Head - hatchery says sussex or welsummer
45467_img_0670.jpg

I sent the hatchery everyones ideas of the breeds I have and let them know that I don't have any Russian Orloffs but they said I do. So, back to square one.

Thanks DAWN

Last edited:
Thanks cknhobbiest
smile.png
. That was a hard one since she is the wrong color. That finishes up the mystery of that group of chicks!!!

Now on to my baby chicks... UGH!
I thought I had it all figured out until the hatchery said that I definitely have a Russian Orloff and either 2 Sussex or 1 Sussex and a Welsummer. Those chipmunk breeds!
They also said they sent a Cuckoo Maran but his wings are coming in all black... so maybe a Black Australorp?
And they said I had 2 RIR though the feathers on one of them is definitely coming in a lot lighter than the other one so maybe 1 RIR and 1 NHR?
I was also surprised to see black on the back of my white leghorn but obviously, I'm just a newb.

Thanks again all.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom