What breeds should I add in spring?

KikiDeAnime

Spooky
6 Years
Dec 29, 2017
Battle Ground, WA
I'm writing down a small list of breeds that I'll be adding in spring.
So far I have written down:
-Belgian d'Uccle
-Red Rangers(For meat)
-Barred Rocks
-Silkies

What other breeds would you all suggest?

Ooo, are they for anything specific? Like eggs, meat, broodiness?

Also I like Old English Game Bantams. They are teeny tiny and cute.

Cream Legbars have also become a favorite of mine.

I would suggest adding some color with Easter Eggers and Marans. Specifically Black Copper Marans. Their eggs are gorgeous! As long as you have silkies on the list you can't go wrong!

Depends on what your goals are. My egg laying flock I just like a variety. We don't really care all that much exactly the types just that we have a variety and my kids love all the different eggs.

We are getting a little more serious this year with some breeding pens and adding meat chickens to the farm but that'll be separate from our "normal" flock

Ooo, are they for anything specific? Like eggs, meat, broodiness?

Also I like Old English Game Bantams. They are teeny tiny and cute.

Cream Legbars have also become a favorite of mine.
Mainly I'm just adding more for our almost-year old cockerel. Luckily the breeds that can't be sexed right away will be easily to find homes for the boys because one of our feed stores takes the cockerels and finds them homes.

Mainly I'm just adding more for our almost-year old cockerel. Luckily the breeds that can't be sexed right away will be easily to find homes for the boys because one of our feed stores takes the cockerels and finds them homes.
That’s so nice of them! :woot

I would suggest adding some color with Easter Eggers and Marans. Specifically Black Copper Marans. Their eggs are gorgeous! As long as you have silkies on the list you can't go wrong!
Marans sound great but unfortunately with how popular they are here, it's a little hard to get them. I'm kind of staying away from EEs as we've had problems in the past with them.

That’s so nice of them! :woot
Just realized I didn't finish my reply. We currently have 9 hens but I want to add more just to have extra females for our cockerel just in case. Even though he's almost a year old and has enough hens right now, I want to make sure he doesn't get crazy and overbreed them.

I'm writing down a small list of breeds that I'll be adding in spring.
So far I have written down:
-Belgian d'Uccle
-Red Rangers(For meat)
-Barred Rocks
-Silkies

What other breeds would you all suggest?
Look up Bielefelder. I received on as a free chick with my order from Murray McMurray Hatchery. It is by far the prettiest chicken I have ever seen. Pictures do not do it justice. they are barred like a barred rock only the coloring is different. They are light red on they'er underside and dark grey on upper side. I named mine lacy because she looked like she was covered in lace. The bielefelder is a German breed. They are excellent layer and excellent meat birds. Roosters are 10 to 12 pounds and hens 8 to 10. They are friendly, quiet, and cold hardy. I wish now that I would have gotten more of them, but McMurray's pictures didn't do them justice. But the pictures I found when I Googled them were much better. Sorry to have gone one so, but I'm in love. 😍 :love

Back
Top Bottom