3KillerBs

Addict
14 Years
Jul 10, 2009
North Carolina Sandhills
My Coop
My Coop
As it says in the title.

The outdoor brooder is a 4'w x 8' long x 4'h structure, windproof but generously ventilated at the top of the wall, where I will be using a traditional heat lamp.*

I have a 100w reptile night bulb and a 60w reptile night bulb but am not sure that will be enough in a structure this large with nighttime temps in the mid-50s to mid-60s.

I don't want to waste money on a HOT bulb if I'm not likely to need it (day temps likely to rise into the 80's or even 90's), but don't want babies chilled.

Thoughts?

*No, I can't afford a brooder plate. No, I don't trust a heating pad for outdoor use in this rednecked temporary structure.

Depends on the ambient temp.
This will give you an ideal of what you need although I know nothing of those heat element bulbs but you can still raise the bulb up and down.

Depends on the ambient temp.
This will give you an ideal of what you need although I know nothing of those heat element bulbs but you can still raise the bulb up and down.

That's very useful. I might indeed need to get a larger bulb for nights. I can easily put it on a chain that I can raise up and down, but there is a limit how low I can go safely.

(I brooded in a 4x4 coop last year in late June/early July with nighttime temps not below the high 60's and daytime temps in the mid-90's so my problem then was offering a bit of heat at night but not cooking the babies in the daytime when I was at work).

Someone posted awhile back the temp under one of those ceramic bulbs and I was surprised that it radiated heat that far away, but I really have no ideal myself about those types of bulbs.

As it says in the title.

The outdoor brooder is a 4'w x 8' long x 4'h structure, windproof but generously ventilated at the top of the wall, where I will be using a traditional heat lamp.*

I have a 100w reptile night bulb and a 60w reptile night bulb but am not sure that will be enough in a structure this large with nighttime temps in the mid-50s to mid-60s.

I don't want to waste money on a HOT bulb if I'm not likely to need it (day temps likely to rise into the 80's or even 90's), but don't want babies chilled.

Thoughts?

*No, I can't afford a brooder plate. No, I don't trust a heating pad for outdoor use in this rednecked temporary structure.
How old are they chicks? My 5 week olds just went outside in a tractor today with no heat. We get frost almost every night still. When they were 3-4 weeks old I used a 125 watt bulb in a 4x4 open dog ex pen brooder in the barn. Water froze in the cold corner one night. They've been off heat for the last few days.

My 2 week olds just went from a 250 watt to a 125 watt. They are in an extra large plastic dog crate in the barn. It has a top, but the door is wire, and 6 inches on all sids just below the top is wire. They will be moving to the ex pen in a week or so.

If they aren't fresh hatched, I would think 100 watt would be enough with your temps. If they are newbies, that lamp should be ok if you block part of the area for the first week or so. Age is the big deciding factor.

How old are they chicks? My 5 week olds just went outside in a tractor today with no heat. We get frost almost every night still. When they were 3-4 weeks old I used a 125 watt bulb in a 4x4 open dog ex pen brooder in the barn. Water froze in the cold corner one night. They've been off heat for the last few days.

My 2 week olds just went from a 250 watt to a 125 watt. They are in an extra large plastic dog crate in the barn. It has a top, but the door is wire, and 6 inches on all sids just below the top is wire. They will be moving to the ex pen in a week or so.

If they aren't fresh hatched, I would think 100 watt would be enough with your temps. If they are newbies, that lamp should be ok if you block part of the area for the first week or so. Age is the big deciding factor.

They're coming from Ideal's May 19th hatch -- a dozen ordered plus whatever packing peanuts they might include (I said yes, on "extra males for warmth" in my order notes).

The month-old New Arrivals I posted about last week are off heat and have been perfectly happy in their little dog-crate coop. :D

They're coming from Ideal's May 19th hatch -- a dozen ordered plus whatever packing peanuts they might include (I said yes, on "extra males for warmth" in my order notes).

The month-old New Arrivals I posted about last week are off heat and have been perfectly happy in their little dog-crate coop. :D
I think with your temps, 100 watts will be fine if you can lower the light for the littles should you have a cool night. I've never had those kind of temps while brooding.

Have fun with the chicks!

Back
Top Bottom