WHAT CAN DUCKLINGS EAT?

BackyardAnita

Chirping
7 Years
Oct 18, 2012
I ordered some starter feed but it is going to take about a week to get here. What can i feed my ducklings because i don't have starter feed at the moment?

I ordered some starter feed but it is going to take about a week to get here. What can i feed my ducklings because i don't have starter feed at the moment?
do you have regular oatmeal if so then put some int a food processor and make it the consistency of starter. be sure to give them fresh drinking water at all times. you could even try wetting the ground oatmeal with some warm water and see if they will eat it. a feed store would carry starter. You'll also need to give some niacin because duckling require more niacin [to prevent nurological problems and leg problems ] than what is in chick starter, just plain niacin in capsule form sprinkled in their water. chopped up romaine lettuce but you'll need to get chick grit if you feed anything besides starter. chopped up boiled egg. Do you have a feed store in your town thats where you get starter from. You also have to be very careful that ducklings can't climb into their drinking container and drown or get chilled.

Last edited:
Dear Anita,

until their starter food arrives I would grind some corn and wheat grain and oatflakes in a coffee grinder (roughly, not powdery) - these would provide energy and carbohydrates. Mix it with grated hard egg and shredded carrots - these would provide protein and some vitamines. Also, the - very important - niacin supplement can be given by mixing a little brewer's yeast (we call it just dry yeast here) into their food. No chopped greens before they are at least two weeks old.

Ducklings grow extremely fast, so their bones need enough calcium - I would grind ALL the household eggshells we use and mix it in their food too. As preventive measure against gastrointestinal problems I heard half tablespoon of apple cider vinegar is good to have in their water (per glass). When my ducklings were little I gave them river gravel in a separate dish too, and they had it until they were allowed to roam in the garden freely (aids their digestion, more or less like chickens').

hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom