What can I do about a duck that will only eat mealworms?

Dilpretzal

In the Brooder
Mar 25, 2023
This is mostly my own fault for spoiling them to this point but I don’t know what to do now.

I’ve had ducks for 2 years now and they love mealworms. The problem is that for far too long their primary food was just mealworms and now one of my ducks will not eat pellets.

The reason this is an issue is because my other duck (who is eating pellets) ended up egg bound last week and the vet told me that her diet was inadequate and she wasn’t getting enough calcium.

Im worried that she’s going to starve/also end up with a calcium issue if she keeps not eating anything. She will gladly scoff down mealworms but not breeders pellets :(

Any advice please? For reference I’m giving them Allen & Page Goose/Duck Breeder Pellets.

If you only feed the food (no mealworms) they will eat it when they get hungry enough. If you are too kind hearted to do that, you may want to try a different food. The Mazuri water-fowl floats on water. All ducks love filtering food out of water. Just a thought.
so do my chickens. we are still trying to figure out how to stop that...
:idunno

This is mostly my own fault for spoiling them to this point but I don’t know what to do now.

I’ve had ducks for 2 years now and they love mealworms. The problem is that for far too long their primary food was just mealworms and now one of my ducks will not eat pellets.

The reason this is an issue is because my other duck (who is eating pellets) ended up egg bound last week and the vet told me that her diet was inadequate and she wasn’t getting enough calcium.

Im worried that she’s going to starve/also end up with a calcium issue if she keeps not eating anything. She will gladly scoff down mealworms but not breeders pellets :(

Any advice please? For reference I’m giving them Allen & Page Goose/Duck Breeder Pellets.
I do not believe your duck will starve itself to death.
Stop the worms and only offer pellets.

There are plastic wash detergent containers that hold about 30-33 oz and have straight walls so they'll remain standing, large enough for duck bills and shallow enough for snacks on the bottom to be taken, just wash 'em well. After they start eating Mazuri or whichever pellet food, think about adapting 'em to other snacks such as frozen peas or lettuce greens thrown on top of water. Watermelon would be a hit this summer. Mealworms, as you/we know, are about 45-50% protein yet aren't well rounded with other nutrition, ie; calcium deficient.

You'll save money, ducks' health will get a boost, and just like young kids, won't starve if they have to eat their peas before desert :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom