What can I do about cluster flies?

Chick_a_dee

Songster
11 Years
May 23, 2008
Peterborough, ON
We have a lot of cluster flies, and the cluster buster doesn't seem to work, anything else I can do? Do they lay eggs in the window frames or something? They hatch out in the morning and die around 10:00pm every night, or get knocked out, something of that sort.

Ideas?

Would DE help with these at all?
idunno.gif

I wouldn't care so much if they were in my coop, bu they're in my HOUSE, in most windows, ... the big front window, the two bedroom windows upstairs in my room, and in the two bedroom windows in the guest room. They're really irritating, and they just drop dead every night, and then the next day theres more.

They do not 'hatch' in your windows. They are the adult version looking for a place to hibernate. You can spray your windows and other attractive areas with Permanone spray which is a Pyrethren dirivative. It has a residual effect for several weeks. I use this to spray my coup perches periodically as well as the nest boxes.

Permanone was developed to be sprayed on clothing and can be washed with out losing effect for several washings.

You could also sprinkle a little sevin dust on the window sills.

Works on those pesky, stinky looking lady bugs that come in the fall to hibernate too.

"What can I do about cluster flies?"

Basically nothing. Sorry. You live in the country now. This is the way it is.

You can spend money on those cluster buster traps, and they will kill a few, but they will not make all that much dent in the population and it is probably a waste of money for most people.

You can repaint your house a dark color, it may help *some* -- they are more attracted to lighter colored walls.

You can plant vines or cedars or something close up along the house walls -- right up brushing against the walls -- and have somewhat fewer. The down side of this, plus the time it'd take to achieve, makes it impractical as a solution to cluster flies however.

You can net up as many of them as you can, using a sturdy fine-mesh or canvas insect net, and stun them in the fridge or freezer then feed them to your chickens. It won't make an appreciable dent in the number of flies around your house but at least they'll be doing something useful. (I do not know what the parasitological implications might be though).

There is no point in using pesticides. There are a coupla bizillion others waiting to take the place of any that die. If you just want to reduce the number swarming on your house or windows right now, or reduce the number that overwinter in your walls to emerge and create a smaller version of this scene in the springtime, then just use your vacuum cleaner and vacuum 'em live off the walls and windowsills and whatever.

But at the end of the day, you live in the country, there are hordes of cluster flies this time of year every year (this is a particularly bad year for them though); you will just have to get used to it.

Their larval stage lives in earthworms btw; the adults this time of year are just lookin' for a place to spend the winter. They are not dying in the evening or hatching in the morning, they just hunker down and don't go anywhere when it's dark and/or cold.

Sorry, but that's just the way life is,

Pat

Last edited:
Quote:
Oooo, I didn't know that! Thanks, when there's a lot of them I just spray them with Konk, usually the cat catches them and eats them LOL which is pretty hilarious to watch, they're not much of a nuissance most of the time, just when they land on you because they've passed out or something.

Back
Top Bottom