1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What can I do? One of my call ducks taken by a hawk, other is lonely

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ShadowRooster, Feb 27, 2011.

1. ShadowRooster

ShadowRooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    claremont, NH
    The ducks are penned up all the time, but today I was playing with the goats, and since the ducks were less then 20 feet away, I thought I would let them out for a while to play in the snow. Like, three seconds after I let them out, Before I could do anything about it, a hawk swoops down and grabs our male call duck, Aspen,! [​IMG] I was soo close to him, but I have three feet of snow here, and I could not move. Poor Willow is all alone... she is crying and looking for Aspen everywhere. I need to find a call duck or a few, but I cant, no one is selling adults right now. Willow lives with my chickens, but I have never seen those two out of sight of eatch other. Poor duck.. I cant lose her too! [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
  2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Oh, how sad. [​IMG]
    I sure hope you can find a friend for her soon.

3. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    I hope you find someone for her soon [​IMG]

4. HamandLily

HamandLily Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    England, UK
    I'm so sorry [​IMG]

Could you not get another breed?

I hope you find a new friend very soon. Be careful - ducks can go downhill quite quickly when they grieve [​IMG]

5. loubapache

loubapache Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Western Michigan
    I am so sorry to hear your loss and hope you find another one.

I also just lost one of my two ducks this week (a 10 month old female Peking). Now I have only one female Cayuga left and I feel so sorry for her. She is doing OK this week but has been calling a lot. She is probably wondering where her life-long friend is.

If anyone can sell me one or two young female ducks (Peking preferred), I would deeply appreciate. I am in Big Rapids, Michigan and am willing to travel for a couple hours to get the duck.

Sorry to hijack the thread.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by