What can I do to get my ducklings to like me?

cgjsmith

Songster
12 Years
Mar 6, 2007
tennessee
With my chicks i just put a hand full of food down and they came to me and after a week or so don't run from me too far at least. I've tried that with the ducks and they won't come anywhere near me. I tried picking one up and it just cries and cries! I so want my animals to like me and so far None of them do!! Whaaa!!!
he.gif

oh good luck i have had mine for almost 3 weeks and they dont like us either the only thing they like is hearing the water run in the bath tub they wanna swim......if u figure it out please let me know
smile.png

I have a Pekin who loves to cuddle and watch tv with me
smile.png
. She is about 5 weeks old now. Honestly, I think she is such a baby because she got wry neck and I have had to handle her lots in order to feed vitamins etc.

Your best bet is to hold them even while they fuss. Don't put them down until they are quiet and quit fussing. They are a bit like babies and toddlers. If you condition them to fuss to get free, they will fuss. If you hold them till they are quiet and calm-THEN put them down, you are teaching them that fussing doesn't work to get what they want.

Lots of handling, hand offered treats, and talking to will do wonders (I "quack" and they will quack back to me now).

Best wishes
big_smile.png

Hand feeding does wonders;) and stooping down to there level and just watching them offer them food spending time with them will turn them into big babies:D

We got ours as 2-day-olds and handled them every day. 3 of them will tolerate being held and sometimes even like it. The 4th screams, always has, and we are giving up on him probably because it just stresses him out too much to hold him. He will even refuse hand-feeding grasshoppers if he thinks he might get touched in the process.

With the other 3, handfeeding works great. If you just hold out your fingers and call, they will run over and run their bills over your hands, and usually you can pick them up. Their favorite to be hand-fed is little grasshoppers, but they appreciate even duck pellets.

Good luck with them!

With mine, during the day I sit out in the yard or in the coop, and just read a book or something, and talk to them. They seem to ejnjoy the company. I also do alot of hand feeding, treats and feed.

i have learned the easiest and less stressful way for me to bond with them is to fill the tub u to just where they have to swim and ca barely touch the bottom then i slide my hand under their feet and they sit in my hands halfway under water when they are swimming they actuallly let me pet them and stuff r u having ay luck so far??

Back
Top Bottom