What can I do to make my run and coop less muddy?!?!

There is no where else to move the pen. That was the only kind of flat place we have. Most of the yard has that bank around it and since the chickens would kill the grass, it would do the same thing.

Quote:
I second this. If your run is anywhere near as bad as the one my dad's chickens currently use, just plain old sand won't do the trick. If it is really bad, go to a creek nearby and get some rock. Put that down, then sand on top. If it is really bad, you may need to put sand, rock, then more sand. This is what we are having to do. Also having the run higher than it's surroundings will help.

Btw, rock and sand are natural filters, so they won't 'soak up' the water.

It is hard for me to see how your drainage works but if you have an issue it would be best to find your low corner and get some kind of french drain running out of there. Then Rock, then gravel, pea gravel is great and sand on top of that. I am afraid that if you just use sand in your climate it will get mixed into dirt quickly. It will sure help though and the deeper the better. As deep as you care to go and as much sand and gravel as you can afford.

Hope we have helped.

Back
Top Bottom