What can I expect of my ducks the 2nd year?

corriemartin

Songster
May 6, 2020
Lawrence, KS
Hey folks,

This is my duck's second winter. Last winter, they laid all winter, except for two weeks during a super-cold spell. This winter, they stopped laying in late November, and haven't laid an egg since. The ducks lost their drake feathers sometime back then, but now seem to be getting their curls back. None of the hens ever went broody, though it seemed like one thought about it for a few hours. Our two drakes had a few periods of animosity toward each other, but usually got over it within a week, and have been the congenial co-hosts of the eight females.

Last year, they swam in their (heated) tub pretty much all winter, but this year they seem much more affected by cold, and are staying inside more.

What can I expect this year? When might they start laying again? If no one went broody last year, might one do it this year? Are the two drakes likely to be okay with each other a second season? Anything else I should know?

My experience is only with runner ducks, and I don't think mine have ever laid throughout a winter-- although last year, I started getting occasional eggs again in February. They also have never shown an interest in being broody, although I know that their breeder lets her runners hatch their own eggs.

Even when I had three drakes (all ducklings from the same breeder at the same time), they showed little aggression toward each other. An "accidental" drake -- improperly sexed as a duckling hen -- integrated well. He and the lone remaining original drake have no issues with each other, but both vigorously "romance" the six girls during warm weather months.

And, as long as there is ANY unfrozen water in a dish, they all -- the youngest being three years old -- still want to jump in. I gave them a heated water dish last winter, but the electrical cord started smoldering in their run. Apparently, the plug-in found some melted water and ignited a bit of straw. Too scary for me; I'm back to hauling out water two or three times a day.

And, as long as there is ANY unfrozen water in a dish, they all -- the youngest being three years old -- still want to jump in. I gave them a heated water dish last winter, but the electrical cord started smoldering in their run. Apparently, the plug-in found some melted water and ignited a bit of straw. Too scary for me; I'm back to hauling out water two or three times a day.
I use extension cord covers as the smoldering happened to me when one of the heated waterers got water in the plug. But, I have to use heated as I work full time and can't take water out twice a day if frozen.

I also use rubber bowls with a piece of wood over the top of the bowl and then place a milk jug 1/2 filled with water to keep the wood in place and to keep them off the top (since I also have muscovy). This keeps them from bathing in the water when it gets too cold. The rubber feed bowls are great because if the water freezes, you just turn it over and kick the ice out. Or step on it and it pops out.

I also place a piece of wood over the heated dog watering bowls if the temps are below 20°F to keep the runners out of the bowl.

My experience is only with runner ducks, and I don't think mine have ever laid throughout a winter-- although last year, I started getting occasional eggs again in February.
That's good to know, because my runners are laying this first winter and I am at a loss as to what do with all the eggs. 😆
So, hoping next year they will take the winter off.

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    7.1 KB · Views: 0
Great advice and tips. Seems wrong to want birds to NOT lay eggs, but sometimes the volume of eggs is overwhelming. I sell what I can, and almost force friends and family to take the rest of the oversupply.

Also, many folks around here seem leery of duck eggs. I actually had someone who was astonished that duck eggs are edible. Imagine what she would have thought of my geese eggs!

I use extension cord covers as the smoldering happened to me when one of the heated waterers got water in the plug. But, I have to use heated as I work full time and can't take water out twice a day if frozen.

I also use rubber bowls with a piece of wood over the top of the bowl and then place a milk jug 1/2 filled with water to keep the wood in place and to keep them off the top (since I also have muscovy). This keeps them from bathing in the water when it gets too cold. The rubber feed bowls are great because if the water freezes, you just turn it over and kick the ice out. Or step on it and it pops out.

I also place a piece of wood over the heated dog watering bowls if the temps are below 20°F to keep the runners out of the bowl.

That's good to know, because my runners are laying this first winter and I am at a loss as to what do with all the eggs. 😆
So, hoping next year they will take the winter off.
Last summer I froze the excess eggs in batches of 8 or 12. Scrambled them all up. I think I froze about 150 or more, and we've been using them this winter as everyone seems to have stopped laying (it's possible that both the chickens and ducks, if they're laying at all, could be laying somewhere outside the nesting boxes.)

Great advice and tips. Seems wrong to want birds to NOT lay eggs, but sometimes the volume of eggs is overwhelming. I sell what I can, and almost force friends and family to take the rest of the oversupply.

Also, many folks around here seem leery of duck eggs. I actually had someone who was astonished that duck eggs are edible. Imagine what she would have thought of my geese eggs!
I gave a lot of duck eggs to folks, who were amazed by them. And then word got around, and I had several people seek me out to buy them. (And then the ducks stopped laying....)

Last summer I froze the excess eggs in batches of 8 or 12. Scrambled them all up. I think I froze about 150 or more, and we've been using them this winter as everyone seems to have stopped laying (it's possible that both the chickens and ducks, if they're laying at all, could be laying somewhere outside the nesting boxes.)
Unfortunately I can't eat duck eggs. I'm fine with chicken eggs, but have an intolerance to duck eggs.

Back
Top Bottom