Indian Runner Ducks - Colours of eggs

Papaye

Chirping
Nov 22, 2023
France
Hello.

I have some questions about genetic, but ONE in particular... and maybe stupid, but I'm curious, and actually really hoping something very specific...

So...

Out of my four first Indian Runner ducks - all of them being born in Spring 2022 -, two are females...

One of these females is Olive - a LIGHT DUSKY runner duck :

DSC09408.JPG

("LIGHT DUSKY" means Olive is the brownish duck, at the center of the picture...)

She laid her first egg on October 18th, 2022... the exact year she was born.
(And she then kept laying during the next winter, and then the year - until her molt...!)

During the time she was laying - she has not started again for the year, but she will soon -, her eggs were, I feel, good sized for a runner duck's eggs : a bit bigger than most of my chickens' eggs - probably around 70-80 grams...

These eggs were also white coloured, with very, VERY light cream coloured diagonal stripes.
The diagonal stripes really were so light I can not even show a picture to you : they are not appearing on the pictures I took. (Bad quality...)

I wondered in the past if the stripes on Olive's eggs were due to the dusky pattern allele (md), but now I know a bit more about (feather) colours genetic, I am questioning if Olive have not, in fact, some mallard pattern allele (M+), and if so, if the stripes on her eggs could then be linked to this mallard pattern allele...?
I don't know... I am no expert, but I would like to learn more...!

DSC08737.JPG

I think she does look like a very pure Light Dusky, but what do I know...?
She has had three Light Dusky daughters, and there actually are some really light differences in their colouring...! Could be from their father(s), but could also be from their mother - if she has some complicated genetic not visible by her feathers...?

...The other of these two females is Ebène - a BLACK runner duck :

DSC09087.JPG

Ebène is the black duck on the left, on the picture...

I say she is black, but as you can see, she has some white spots or her chest... and as you can NOT see, she also has a tiny few white feathers at the corners of her bill...
(The white feathers are NOT due to age, since Ebène is so young, and always have had them...)

So : I don't think I actually can consider Ebène as black (homozygous)...? Or could I?
(Is she actually a black bibbed, even if there is actually almost no white on her feathers? ...Or could she be genetically pure, and the white spots would then just be a default, or whatever...?)

DSC07109.JPG

I any case : be she a pure black or not, she has laid black eggs - like black runner ducks are renowed to lay...!

Her first egg really was almost entirely black :

DSC06254.JPG

The egg on the center (the black one) was her first egg - laid on February 18th, 2023...
(In spite of the fact Ebène is also born in Spring 2022, she is one month younger than Olive... which is why she did not lay in 2022 like Olive, but has waited until 2023 to lay her first egg.)

The gray egg, more on the right on the picture, is her second egg...

And next, day by day, the eggs Ebène laid were lighter and lighter in colour, until they became completely white...

DSC06264.JPG

(Ebène's eggs are the smaller ones : she never could lay eggs of the same size than Olive's.)

Afterwhat she never laid a black OR gray egg until she stopped laying (because of her molt, of course)...!

Now, we are in February, 2024, and I have not two female runner ducks, but eight : Olive, Ebène, and six of their daughters I kept home.
And among these daugthers, there are :
- 2 white runners,
- 2 light dusky runners,
- 1 black bibbed runner,
- 1 (faulted) trout runner.

DSC09310.JPG

...For now, 2024, and four of my eight female runners are already laying eggs...

The first egg I found for 2024 was early February, and was clearly laid by a black duck.

Nevertheless, in spite of the fact it was the first egg of the season laid by a black duck, it was not black : it just was gray. The gray from the black dye, but gray nevertheless!

So, I naturally thought this egg was laid by Ebène... since, if it was the first egg ever laid by a black duck - here then by Corneille, Ebène's black bibbed daughter -, it would have been black, no...?
But now, I don't know if the egg were really from Ebène : indeed, the eggs are lighter and lighter by the days, but seem to me to become more very light, palish cream than white...? (...Or Ebène' eggs colour has slighty changed, or the "black" eggs are actually laid by her daughter Corneille...)

...Concerning the other eggs : two of them are very, very pale cream coloured; and one of them is a (very) pale blue!

...Look... my question here can seem stupid, but I would want to know ONE thing in priority : if one of my runners is laying blue eggs... does that means this runner could have a blue gene (feathers)?

I know these eggs are not laid by Olive : indeed, since I have no stripped eggs for now, it means Olive is not laying for the time being.

I also know the blue eggs are also not laid by one of my two black female runners : I have only one black runner laying for now, and her eggs are NOT becoming blue; in addition, these blue eggs were blue from the very first of them - and never were grayish and/or seemed to be dyed...

I am actually hoping one of my two white females OR my faulted trout (the brown one with eyestripes) is laying these blue eggs, and that could be mean I could have at least ONE carrier of the blue gene among my ducks...
(Dads of my six youngest females are a trout drake and a white drake...!)

Can I have hope one of my drake, and so, their daughters, are carriers of blue...? Thanks to the fact their eggs are blue coloured, in spite of the fact the ducks are not black, or blue, or chocolate...?

Sorry if it is a stupid question.

I KNOW runners can lay blue eggs and not be blue themselves... but I only heard that about black, chocolate, and blue runners... and I don't know... are black and chocolate not linked to blue anyway (possible carriers), which would explain the blue eggs they can lay...?
What I ask more precisely is : is the blue of the egg somewhat linked to the blue gene for the feathers' colouring...?

(Is there a rule for ducks' EGG colour genetic...?)

...Thank you in advance to who will answer to me.

Blue gene or not, link between eggs colour AND feathers colour or not... I would really like to know all it is know about Indian Runners' eggs colour GENETIC...!
(Like... is it possible to breed runners for a specific egg colour?)

(Hope the pictures help to see clear - genetic and all -, but : I did not took any pictures of the eggs laid this month...! Nothing to see anyway : pictures of the eggs would not be a sufficiently good quality to see the differences in colours...)

Hi!
wow that's 'heavy', man!

Ah, ah...!

I just try to give a good enough number of details... and to explain myself properly!
Hope I'm at least doing it correctly?

i love the pics they are so cute

Thank you.

I'm so crazy with my birds I literally eat up the space on my computer with these useless pictures of them, but oh so satisfying to look at...

(People on the website have beautiful birds, and some feathers colouring are just so lovely...!!)

Im not versed in genetics but I know some duck people on here who are such as @cheezenkwackers

Yeah.
I'm also not an expert, but I would really like to learn more...! It actually is so interesting...!!

I felt weird when I noticed Olive laid stripped eggs : I did not even know then it was a thing...!

I'm not aware of blue eggs being linked to blue feather color. With chicken the egg color is often part of the breed standard, but not linked to feather color. With ducks two of the same breed can lay different colors (cyuga) may be an exception. I was not aware of black runners laying the black eggs. My black runners have not laid black eggs. I have had ducks lay blue. Some dusky runners. One duck who was said to be WH cross laid bright blue eggs. Only blue feathers on her were the bright spots on the wings. At @Pyxis knows more about duck genetics.

well I can add to the stack of information and say that my blue runners lay white and also some blue eggs.
my fawn and white runners lay white eggs only.
“ that’s it for now folks”

I'm not aware of blue eggs being linked to blue feather color.

I actually assumed that because of the fact black runner ducks - not just any runner ducks, but reaylly the BLACK ones - are renowned to lay black dyed eggs (the first ones anyway)...
If black runner ducks lay black eggs because of the fact they are black... I just thought blue carrier runners are somewhat the same...?

But now, I am just remembering black Indian Runners are originally offsprings of Runner Ducks AND Cayugas...
And Cayugas are ALSO renowed to lay black eggs (for their first ones at least)...

So, black runners probably lay black eggs because of their Cayuga genes, and not because of some black allele...?
(If so, what exactly would cause Cayuga ducks to dye their first eggs black? Not some black allele...?)

With chicken the egg color is often part of the breed standard, but not linked to feather color.

Yes.
That's why I am so surprised with the so diverse colours - and even patterns - of the eggs laid by my runners... in spite of the fact they are of the exact same breed!

I was not aware of black runners laying the black eggs. My black runners have not laid black eggs.

Really?
And I thought ALL black runners laid black eggs at some point...?

I have had ducks lay blue. Some dusky runners. One duck who was said to be WH cross laid bright blue eggs.

...Amazing!!

Only blue feathers on her were the bright spots on the wings.

(I actually once thought the blue speculum on the wings was linked to some blue allele...)

well I can add to the stack of information and say that my blue runners lay white and also some blue eggs.

That is NOT surprising to me...

my fawn and white runners lay white eggs only.

THAT, it is surprising, because if fawn and white runners carry blue... I would have assumed they also could lay blue eggs...?

(I even wonder now if the blue on ducks' eggs is actually a dyed colour...? Like the black on the black runners' black eggs...?
I remember that for chickens, blue would actually be the (normal) colour a eggshell should have (because of a specific gene)...? But what about ducks?)

My blue runners laid bluish eggs, the white ones (cross between blue duck and fawn/white drake) lay white eggs. I think my chocolate runners lay bluish eggs, too. (Poor memory!) A friend with black runners has never mentioned getting black eggs.

I just googled black duck eggs and see that Cayugas lay black eggs early in the season that become white as the season progresses. I had no idea!

My blue runners laid bluish eggs, the white ones (cross between blue duck and fawn/white drake) lay white eggs.

...I'm impressed here by the fact a white runner duck could be born by a blue mother and a fawn and white father...!

I think my chocolate runners lay bluish eggs, too. (Poor memory!)

Yes.
I know chocolate runners can lay blue eggs, so you are probably remembering right?
(And if my memory is correct, they can also lay greenish eggs...?)

God... I so would like to see chocolate runners in real life...
They are so beautiful...!!

A friend with black runners has never mentioned getting black eggs.

Again : I'm surprised by that, since black runners are renowed to lay black eggs (but just the first ones of the laying season - afterwhat the eggs become lighter and lighter, until they end up being white)... so much so I thought ALL black runners were, in fact, laying them once a year?!

...Are there not people taking the black ducks home specifically FOR the black eggs...?

I just googled black duck eggs and see that Cayugas lay black eggs early in the season that become white as the season progresses. I had no idea!

Yes. That's a fun fact...!

Would be interesting to learn why, exactly, Cayuga ducks dye their first eggs black? What's the purpose? ...Is there a purpose, actually?

Back
Top Bottom