WHAT CAN I FEED DUCKLINGS?

ILikeChickenNuggets

Songster
5 Years
Mar 25, 2019
Hello
My ducklings will most likely hatch tomorrow, but I have a problem.
I have ordered some starter food for them, but I have first now realized, that it will first arrive in a week.
Therefore, I don't have any special food to feed the baby ducks.
What can I feed them while waiting, that gives them the nutrients they need?
And can feeding them something else than starter food be fatal?
Remember, I have ordered starter food for them!!!
So it will only be a couple days, without normal duck food.
Pls help! Thanks

Hello
My ducklings will most likely hatch tomorrow, but I have a problem.
I have ordered some starter food for them, but I have first now realized, that it will first arrive in a week.
Therefore, I don't have any special food to feed the baby ducks.
What can I feed them while waiting, that gives them the nutrients they need?
And can feeding them something else than starter food be fatal?
Remember, I have ordered starter food for them!!!
So it will only be a couple days, without normal duck food.
Pls help! Thanks
Years ago when my boys were little we would catch baby ducks in order to save them from predators... I didn’t have internet to find out info so we would soak dog food or cat food and feed them that.. also bread.. but I wouldn’t give em that.. mama ducks would have them out pecking grass at a day old so I would imagine feeding them some lettuce and greens and take them out to the yard to pick their own.. we also never used a heat light :oops:... and all lived happily ever after! We did this on a regular basis...

Come to think of it... whenever we would feed all the big ducks and their babies we would just toss white bread to them and into the water... so you could feed them white bread in their water.. it’s not best but at least it’s substance until you get the feed... plus dog/cat food... greens and grasses... catch some bugs and worms...

I don't really know the right answer, but with whatever you give, I would include some frozen peas, because ducklings need niacin and peas are a cheap way to provide it. I don't know if your starter food is specifically for ducklings, but I used chick starter and supplemented with the peas. All of my runner ducks grew up perfectly healthy with that combination.

Good luck with hatching and feeding!

What food did you order? I’m new to ducks, but have learned that you don’t need special duck starter, chick starter or Flock Raiser is fine. I’ve been told to never feed the ducks bread, and I expect that would especially hold true for newly hatched ducklings. I would give them scrambled eggs until their feed arrives, or if you can get to a feed store, pick up Flock Raiser.

Years ago when my boys were little we would catch baby ducks in order to save them from predators... I didn’t have internet to find out info so we would soak dog food or cat food and feed them that.. also bread.. but I wouldn’t give em that.. mama ducks would have them out pecking grass at a day old so I would imagine feeding them some lettuce and greens and take them out to the yard to pick their own.. we also never used a heat light :oops:... and all lived happily ever after! We did this on a regular basis...
Thank you for this response! Means a lot!!

Come to think of it... whenever we would feed all the big ducks and their babies we would just toss white bread to them and into the water... so you could feed them white bread in their water.. it’s not best but at least it’s substance until you get the feed... plus dog/cat food... greens and grasses... catch some bugs and worms...
Thanks!!!

Back
Top Bottom