What can I force feed my rooster?

oliviad51

Songster
10 Years
Jul 23, 2009
North Carolina
I have a 3 month old roo who got attacked by a raccoon sunday morning (8/28). That same raccoon killed 3 other chickens, left one in bad shock and ripped the comb off another. Grrrrr.

Anyway..the roo that got attacked has no balance whatsoever, and can barely lift his neck. He is inside the house in a cat kennel. I am feeding him a little yogurt with protein powder in it every day. I aslo give him vitamin-D drops.
He cannot eat real chicken food so I have been trying the liquids. He gets a little antibiotic daily as well.

I'm worried he is not getting enough protein/vitamins/nutrients he needs. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can give him? He is a real sweetheart and I want to do what I can to help him recover. Thanks in advance:)

Lefabers or Kay T both can be found at Pet Smart. Mine seem to like Lefabers better both need to be mixed with water at 103 then cooled for a bit. Use caution not to let it go down the wind pipe at the base of the tounge. He may even eat it on his own.
Good luck!

my sick chick started to get drastically better once I got the grower pellets, ground them up in a coffee grinder, and mixed it with water to make a thin mash that could be fed with a syringe. I had to tube feed her initially and was showed how to do it at the vets.

I was thinking of mixing his food with water but that won't give him sour crop, will it? Or is it just from moldy food that they can get it?

Use a dropper with water and a splash of gatorade. Drip the drops slowly right on top of the beak until he moves his beak to sip.

I give sick animals a drench. One part each of corn oil, molasses, karo syrup
. Lots of energy in that. Try some chopped boiled egg with water mixed in, chop it in a blender to make a paste. Hope he gets better.

Back
Top Bottom