What can I give chickens as treats.

haddiemoo

In the Brooder
9 Years
Oct 25, 2010
I am new to the chicken game and now have 3 one year old hens who all get plenty to eat and drink and all seem to be laying eggs fine. My question is what can I give them as treats or maybe I should ask what should I not give them. I have given them some green beans, mac and cheese and boiled p-nuts (not all at once) and they seemed to like it but is there anything that chickens just love as a treat. Thanks

Corn or "scratch" (a mix of milo and corn) are chicken candy. Just for treats, not for food as it doesn't meet their nutritional requirements.
We also feed them plain yogurt, grass, warm oatmeal in the winter.
You can hang a whole cabbage head on a string and they will jump up and eat it, gives them something to do.

my chickens love lettuce, milk, cooked rice and pasta, anything they can tear apart... tomatoes, chard, melons...they get whatever plant based scraps i can find or get donated. any hard foods like carrots, celery, green beans, i run through the food processor first to make it more edible... they also love bread that i buy (whole wheat) for a dollar at the bread outlet i feel guilty if they don't get supplemental food every day....

My chickens LOVE leafy green stuff, especially chard and clovers. They also like harder stuff like squash. Mealworms are a favorite treate. But really they'll eat anything I bring them!

Grasshoppers! Mine get all the kitchen scraps that the others have mentioned, but if you want to give them something that you will enjoy as much as they do, get them some grasshoppers. It is sooooooo funny watching them chase the hoppers and then chase each other!
gig.gif

ETA: Leftover pumpkins from halloween are a big hit too--not as funny as the hoppers, but they really like them. Just make sure the pumpkins are still good and don't have any moldy spots on them.

Last edited:
I haven't given my hogs - excuse me, my CHICKENS anything that they won't eat. They see me coming out the back door and go so crazy, I actually feel bad if I don't have a treat for them. They get a lot of whatever is in season. Plums from the neighbors tree were a huge hit. Tomatoes and lettuce from the garden. Right now, they are getting a lot of pumpkin "guts". I also search through corn fields that have been cut and find leftover corn. I tie the corn just out of their reach onto the side of the run, so they have to jump up to get at it. It's hilarious and keeps 'em busy!

Back
Top Bottom