What can I paint our coop with?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Silkiesocks, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Silkiesocks

Silkiesocks New Egg

Aug 18, 2010
    My chickens have multiplied, and needed a bit more bedroom space, so I built a new coop!

It is made of ply wood, and I was wondering what I should paint it with. I guess the inside needs treating with something - suggestions please?
    But the outside is going to need weather proofing against out great British summers, and even wetter winters! Am I ok using a water based shed paint?

Thanks

2. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

You can use almost any type of paint ~ just make sure it dries well so there are no fumes inside before putting your chickens inside. We used a semi-gloss latex paint on ours for easier cleaning.

3. Silkiesocks

Silkiesocks New Egg

Aug 18, 2010
    Thanks - Did you paint inside and out?

4. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

Yep ~ both coops are painted tan with burgundy trim to match our house and other out buildings. The inside of one coop is sunny yellow with navy blue nest boxes and the other is sky blue with white trim and I found a quart of hot pink "oops" paint for the nest boxes. I have walk in coops and I paint the insides in fun colors that make me feel good when I am inside ~ the chickens don't care! The paint does seal the wood making it harder for mites and such to hide and makes cleaning easier.

5. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hello-

I used barn paint for my chicken coop. (Red and it looks like a little red barn--I love it!) Anyhow, with the barn paint, which I bought at Lowe's, you didn't need to prime, I guess the primer is built in, so that's what sold me.

6. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    I used semi-gloss exterior paint. I have 4 different coops and each is a different color. No, I did not paint the inside. Look in some hardware stores that have paint they couldn't sell or wrong color you can get it cheaper. It's fun to look around for deals.

7. UrbanChick101

UrbanChick101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2010
    Eastern Iowa
    Quote:Is barn paint more expensive than regular paint. My daughter wants to paint our nesting boxes "red, like a barn!!" Is it special paint, or is it just a color that is "barn red" So Curious!! If I can't find something reasonably priced we are going with the best "fun colored mistint that we can find"

So far I have one coat of white kitchen/bath paint on the ceiling of my coop, along with the nesting boxes and the feed box. Need to get a second coat on, although hoping to find some decent priced "Barn Red Paint" [​IMG] Don't have my coop finished yet, hoping the final reading and zoning stuff will be taken care of at the next city council meeting and we will be able to get chickens within a week or two!![​IMG]

8. ducks4you

ducks4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    East Central Illinois
    There was a time when red paint for wood was very plentiful, and could be had at a really good price, so, naturally, farmers bought it and painted their barns red. It's kind of like the tan colored computers and monitors that came in one color...tan.
    I would look at farm supply stores and just compare prices. If you can hold off a few weeks, Labor Day Sales are pretty nice, too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by