what can I plant for my chickens?

In the winter, you can grow sprouts of any kind. My babies love sprouts chopped up fine so they can eat them. I have a neighbor in the Sprout business, she brought me over so sprouts today for the chicks. And they loved them!!

Sprouts are good for people too.

My dad had potatoes planted in the chicken run.
tongue.png
The chickens don't eat the potatoes, but the potato leaves attract many bugs, which the chickens LOVE! I love watching the pullets jump up and snatch a fly from one of the leafs! LOL

They LOVE eating grass!!!!! There used to be sooo much grass in their run, but they scratched it all up.
hmm.png
But they love it when we throw grass in for them.

In the winter, you can grow sprouts of any kind

I suppose, but I don't want to dig through 3 feet of snow to find them!
lol.png

Maybe I can do some veggies inside for the chickens this winter, tho!​

Quote:
I suppose, but I don't want to dig through 3 feet of snow to find them!
lol.png

Maybe I can do some veggies inside for the chickens this winter, tho!

UH... I meant growing sprouts inside the house in a sprouter or a glass jar.
smile.png

Alfafa sprouts grow quickly and sunflower sprouts are fun to grow. Most Health Food stores have all sorts of seeds that can be sprouted. Wheat Grass grows pretty quickly.

You know, we have these weird little bulbs that are all over our garden. They were there before we planted anything. I smushed one once to see what they were and it smelled like an onion. The chickens were interested in what I was doing and started pecking like crazy at it. The girls always gather around me looking for something tasty when I plant, so now whenever they spot one they grab it but the shells are to hard so I have to smush it for them. I wish I knew what they were. But there ABSOLUTE favorite is wild blackberries.

I planted kale as a winter crop for mine. They really like it and it stays green all winter, even under the tremendous snowfalls we get off Lake Erie. Extra leaves off the brussels sprouts are a favorite right now, along with any weeds and grass I can find. Squash seeds are also good. I plan to buy up leftover pumpkins for very little cash right after Halloween to use for extra feed.

Back
Top Bottom