What can i use for fly control?

Mystic Chix

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 8, 2010
Mystic
HI,
I have a small coop, 2 chickens.. I know.. I know, barely counts as having chickens... but 5 in the bunch we got were roosters, (and so 4 have found a happy home)
I have been keeping them in a stall in the barn with the horses, and now am moving them to their own coop once I renovate it. In the past I have put up fly tape for the flies but I don't think that will work and I'm concerned that there may be flies in the coop...and/or they may fly into the tape that hangs...so Is there a good method of curbing the fly population?
Any reply will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Mystic, CT Chix

I just bought a bag of quart size freezer bags and are going to fill them halfway with water and hang them around the perimeter and some inside my Alpaca barn to see if the flies stay away. Most people who try this SWEARS by it, and some people even put a couple of shiny copper pennies in each bag. Gives the flies the idea its a huge predator because of the prisms in their eyes I think. . .someone might be able to explain it better.

Quote:
Unfortunately Not when they are flying.... I already have some zooming around the barn.
I'm trying to get ahead of them

Last edited:
*if* a fly were to enter my coop/run, it would be at its own risk. Maybe I don't feed them enough protein or they find flies the ULTIMATE treat. The chickens will jump and fly through the air to catch a fly & eat it.

Quote:
I WISH! Mine were as talented!!!! LOL! I just read that Lime may help... am going to try that, and DE.... unless anyone has any other ideas...
PS are you selling those acrobatic fliers... I've hear of fRiers.... but fLiers? I think I'm jealous!

One of my favorite Chicken TV shows is watching them catch the flies and then run like crazy so the other chicks don't take it away! It is hilarious and no one had to teach my chicks last fall or this spring how to do it. If it moves and they can get it in their beak, that do the old snatch and run. I wish I could show people the re-runs of that! Perhaps you just need more chickens!
lol.png

Quote:
Very interesting I'd like to know more about this from others that have tried it.

Yes, very Interesting! I'm going to try it all. I've got llamas, along with the horses, and I've had it with flies. Now with the chickens... I'm determined to eradicate them as best as possible. Those nasties BITE! So I'm starting with the Lime, then the Diatomaceous Earth and the Water bags... Oh bless me they are going to think I'm nuts with the bags. Won't be the first time...and I hope not the last. I just chalk it up as open minded and alternative....

Back
Top Bottom