What can I use to mark 2 Day old chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by flyawayfarms, Apr 28, 2009.

1. flyawayfarms

flyawayfarms Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2008
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I have part of my chicks hatching today and in two days more hatching from another breeder. (Same breed/same color) What can I use to mark safely mark the chicks so I will know who's who??

2. erijn5

erijn5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    South Central IL
    If they are going to be yellow chicks you can mark them with a green or dark colored marker on top of their heads this is what they use in hatcheries to mark the roo from pullets. If they are black [​IMG] humm I'm not sure. But there is an idea for light colored chicks! Good luck!

3. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Food dye, sharpie marker, or velcro for leg bands.

4. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Tiny colored zip ties. Just make sure you leave them loose enough to be cut off and changed as the chick grows [​IMG]

5. loverOFchickens

loverOFchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    I have also heard of pipe cleaner leg bands but you would have to be REALLY careful to tuck the ends in safely.

I suppose you could stick a little tape over the sharp end.[​IMG]

6. mom2chicksandpups

mom2chicksandpups Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Southeast Alabama
    My chicks that arrived from a hatchery today have different colored dots on their heads that appear to have been made with a Sharpie. They drew lines on the invoice in the same colors to tell me what they were and it looks like this was done with a Sharpie, so I assume the dots are the same.

7. flyawayfarms

flyawayfarms Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2008
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Thanks I wasn't sure if the sharpies would have something harmful in them, they are black and blue chicks. I didn't think about food dye either. Would appreciate any more ideas. I have a couple of days to decide.

8. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I took the little food coloring bottles and put the end of it against the cream colored butt fluff of my black babies and squeezed and scribbled and it dyed it bright blue for one batch, purple for the other. Shows like a neon light, can't hurt them, can't fall out (at least until the down falls out) and you have plenty of time to re color them if it starts to fade.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by