What can make Easter Eggers???

Des R

Chirping
Apr 27, 2016
Maryland / Delaware
So, I have a Crested Cream Legbar Rooster (blue egg layers), and various tan egg layers (Barred Rocks, Buff Orps, Golden Laced Wynd, etc). Just for fun we loaded up the incubator with eggs for some "barnyard mixes".

But here's my question. Everything I read says a blue egg layer x with a tan egg layer = Easter egger.

They won't have beards or muffs... but would they be called easter eggers?

I know... I was really hoping for responses.
1f614.png

Last edited:
An easter egger isnt a breed but a generic term for chickens that are mixed breed or unknown breed that lay colored eggs instead of white or brown eggs.
Sure you can call them easter eggers. They should lay green eggs.

An easter egger isnt a breed but a generic term for chickens that are mixed breed or unknown breed that lay colored eggs instead of white or brown eggs.
Sure you can call them easter eggers. They should lay green eggs.

I guess the question should be, what mixes of breeds will created the offspring that will lay colored eggs?

Any blue egg layer crossed with any white egg layer will lay blue eggs.
Any blue egg layer crossed with any brown egg layer will lay green eggs.
Any blue egg layer crossed with any dark brown egg layer will lay olive eggs or at least a darker green egg.
Thats talking pure breed layers. Once you cross breeds some can have one gene for one color and another gene for a different color. Then youre playing odds on which color gene the offspring get.
Example if you cross blue egg layer with a brown egg layer youll get green eggs but if you cross two of those green egg layers you can end up with blue, green or brown eggs.

Any blue egg layer crossed with any white egg layer will lay blue eggs.
Any blue egg layer crossed with any brown egg layer will lay green eggs.
Any blue egg layer crossed with any dark brown egg layer will lay olive eggs or at least a darker green egg.
Thats talking pure breed layers. Once you cross breeds some can have one gene for one color and another gene for a different color. Then youre playing odds on which color gene the offspring get.
Example if you cross blue egg layer with a brown egg layer youll get green eggs but if you cross two of those green egg layers you can end up with blue, green or brown eggs.

Thank you very much.

Back
Top Bottom