What can this little pullet be?

huppfarm

Songster
11 Years
Oct 17, 2008
Duncan, Az, Poultry since 1995
idunno.gif
We had gotten a call about if we wanted a RIR hen as we are now raising them. " Sure" I say, so my wife brings it home and I open the box and it is the same color as a RIR but has "White" ear lobes .......definitely not a RIR. They are not a little white but white like Leghorns have, so I'm thinking Red Star? but I have never owned them and am guessing here....................Anyone have a better answer?
Thank you for your time!

Leghorns do come in a solid red variety. They aren't as common as White Leghorns, but some hatcheries do have Red Leghorns. Red Stars are brown layers and have red earlobes.

Thanks about the red star question............I raise leghorns so for sure not that breed..............this bird has the exact same plumage, eye, beak, leg color and body style as RIR's, any other ideas? Thanks!

Can you post a pic?

I know sometimes a pure bred bird who is supposed to have red earlobes can have white lobes for some reason. It may simply be a recessive thing that popped up in your bird, and she's otherwise a Red.

Leghorns do come in a solid red variety. They aren't as common as White Leghorns, but some hatcheries do have Red Leghorns. Red Stars are brown layers and have red earlobes.
Can you post a pic?

I know sometimes a pure bred bird who is supposed to have red earlobes can have white lobes for some reason. It may simply be a recessive thing that popped up in your bird, and she's otherwise a Red.
X2 on both of the above posts.

Back
Top Bottom