What can you give chicks instead of vitamins if you don't have any?

Angel07

Songster
Mar 11, 2021
Victoria, Australia
Are there any fruit or vegetables that will provide chicks with vitamins? Any other food I could give them? I've got a weak chick so would like to see if he needs some vitamins but I don't have anything to give him.

I read somewhere peas provide vitamins. If I'm going to feed him peas do I have to prepare it in any way? Cook it? I've only got frozen peas from the store here. Are these okay or do they lack the vitamins after going through the process of getting them on the shelves?
Thank you

Age of chick?
Eating? Drinking? Peeping a lot?
How does its poop look?
Brooder set up? What type of heat source?
What feed are you using now? Age of feed?
Symptoms in detail and a pic of the chick so we can see posture please.
Chick is about 3 days old. Drinking. Has eaten a bit of chick starter yesterday but not much. Is very chatty, especially when I leave him. Haven't noticed anything wrong with his poops. He is being kept in a box in the brooder so he doesn't get attacked by the other chicks. Heat lamp. Barastoc chick starter. Feed only recently brought for the chicks. The other chicks are fine and so are the peachicks who are having the same feed. This chick needed help out of the egg so is weaker than the rest. Moved into the brooder yesterday afternoon. Also, yes he had a wonky toe. I'm in the process of making a shoe for him.
Snapchat-1674222691.jpg
Snapchat-790670293.jpg

For a chick that age I would offer raw egg yolk.

I am no great expert on this but know those questions are the ones you would surely be asked.

I am sure more help will find your thread shortly.

If you want it moved to the emergency section let me know and I can move it.
Thank you. Yes, I've got some yolk and some honey water that I've been giving him. He's getting a bit stronger but not standing still.

This poor chick. I've just notice she has a lump beside her vent. It's soft. Any ideas?
*Also, please ignore the poop on her. She is still able to poop but I don't want to touch the area too much until I figure out what's wrong. And it's not as bad as it looks. There is a bit of shell stuck there that will be removed once I know what the lump is.*
Snapchat-1855419100.jpg
Snapchat-1314926524.jpg

@21hens-incharge
Sorry, you’re the only one who has replied so far. Do you know how much a 3 day old chick should weigh? I’m pretty sure it’s a red Ancona but not 100% sure as I didn’t see what egg it come from. I just weighed her because I figured I should have some sort of reference for her. She only weighs 34 grams.

Are there any fruit or vegetables that will provide chicks with vitamins? Any other food I could give them? I've got a weak chick so would like to see if he needs some vitamins but I don't have anything to give him.

I read somewhere peas provide vitamins. If I'm going to feed him peas do I have to prepare it in any way? Cook it? I've only got frozen peas from the store here. Are these okay or do they lack the vitamins after going through the process of getting them on the shelves?
Thank you
I'm still a big rookie with chickens so I dont really know what to say but here is my recipe. I never had any problems with it so I'm sharing it, dont take me too seriously though.

1. Boiled lentils (daal)
2. Egg boiled
3. Rice (cooked)
4. Coriander/Cilantro
5. Banana (3-4 small chunks)
6. Tomato (not the green part, in very little amount)
7. In a pan, take some water, add turmeric (very little) and ginger and garlic. Boil. Throw away the ginger and garlic. Cool down the water.

Now, blend all these up, use the turmeric water to make it the consistency you want.

@21hens-incharge
Sorry, you’re the only one who has replied so far. Do you know how much a 3 day old chick should weigh? I’m pretty sure it’s a red Ancona but not 100% sure as I didn’t see what egg it come from. I just weighed her because I figured I should have some sort of reference for her. She only weighs 34 grams.
As per I know, she seems underweight?

Things that naturally have a lot of vitamins like fruits are not very nutritious in other respects. Get some Poly-Vi-Sol baby vitamin from the pharmacy and feed it chick starter. If he doesn't like it dry then wet it with something high in protein like egg yolk or milk.

Back
Top Bottom