What CAN you keep with Red Goldens??

Quote:
Thats what I was wondering, thanks alot!!
smile.png

They "say" you're not supposed to keep pheasants with chickens, but I do and my red goldens are happy and very healthy, as are the chickens. There is the usual pecking order, but nobody gets hurt and they mostly ignore/ avoid each other.

Reason why pheasants aren't to be kept with chickens is due to black head disease. The chickens can be carriers but turkeys, peafowl, and pheasants are more susceptible. Also worm the pheasants with safeguard goat dewormer. You can use this for chickens too, but many people use Wazine. You could go a long time or never have a problem with disease transfer from chicken to pheasant or peafowl, but it is an extra precaution against it to keep them separate, not due to demeanor of the birds (most chickens, peafowl, ducks, pheasants).

Pheasant24

Glad your not mating all the pheasants together and breeding for sale. Amherst and RGP will mate if confined together. This has been a problem for the RGP because it is very difficult to get a 100% true blood RGP due to Amherst interbreeding. The birds are great for just keeping as eye candy, can't you agree? Bet you have a beautiful grouping of colors with all those pretty birds in your list. Been wanting some mandarins.

Yes, I understand the disease transfer possibility, but anything can kill any of them at any time, so really, just having them is a risk, so why not put different birds together?

Actually Blackhead Is Childs Play... The Mycoplasmas (cause Coryza) Are Way More Prevalent And 1000x's More Virulent To Gamebirds. Its Not So Much If But When. Personally I Wont Risk My Birds And Imo They Deserve To Be Protected As Much As Can Be If In Our Care, Not Placed At Greater Risk

Back
Top Bottom