What can you tell me about my breeds?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by FruitfulFaith, Dec 19, 2012.

1. FruitfulFaith

FruitfulFaith Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2012
    I ordered 6 Ancona, 6 Black Australorp, 6 Black and 6 Red Star and 2 Golden Polish chicks. We had Rhode Island Reds when I was little....aaaand that was about 20 years ago. Is there anything I should know specifically about any of these breeds?

2. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    If you're looking for great egg layers, your RIR's, Australorps, and Stars will lay you an egg every day.
    They're also good all-purpose birds and will tolerate colder temps.

3. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Ancona lay many white eggs, Polish lay few small white eggs. The rest are all great large brown egg layers, likely the Australorps eggs will be smallest of those.

4. richsbabycakes

richsbabycakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2012
    West Central Florida
    My one Polish mix is very skittish and not very friendly. She's not aggressive or anything just very stand offish.

5. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

My polish hens lay BIG eggs. Frequently too. Polish differ very much on a bird to bird basis from everything I've read. My girl laid 6/7 days a week in the spring/summer. God forbid you moved her nesting box though, she would go on strike!

6. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]

My polish are so completely opposite! Some of my friendliest birds!

7. donnavee

donnavee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Central NC
    Once your stars start laying, you will have lots of eggs as they are egg laying machines. Mine have always been pretty friendly too. I love my Australorps, mine are big and friendly chickens. Never had Anconas or Polish. Congrats & have fun!

8. FruitfulFaith

FruitfulFaith Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2012
    Very good to know :) Thanks guys :) We have three kids, number four on the way, and our oldest son will literally eat a dozen eggs on his own. So 26 of the best egg laying machines will be awesome :) LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by