What can you tell me about

rancher hicks

Free Ranging
14 Years
Feb 28, 2009
Syracuse, NY
Exterior nesting boxes. I live in NY so you know it's cold and since I have covered runs I want to put in exterior nesting boxes to increase inside floor space. Does anyone have these in the north or colder areas of the world? (this is an international forum)

Do you have pics. and advice for me?

Thanks

Rancher Hicks

I had them on my old coop - Illinois get pretty cold - They work great.

You still need to collect the eggs before they freeze though.

I didn't insulate the nest - but then I don't insulate the coop either. They do fine with cold - its the heat that kills

I don't have a picture of the old boxes but they are easy to build.

Its just a cube where the top of both side pieces are cut at an angle instead of square. Then henge on a lid that over hangs a bit & you are done.

If you're going to do this, best look at pics in the coop section. It can be tricky to make them dry and predator proof. You could also put their nests in the run -- though if they already lay in the coop this might take some training. If you have a walk in coop, just raise the nests high enough that they can walk under them, and there is your increased floor space.

My coop is insulated but not the nestboxes. They are constructed of 3/4 in plywood. I keep lots of straw in the boxes and I haven't had a problem with freezing, but I gather the eggs daily. If the hens were to quit using the boxes I might try to retrofit some insulation, but so far (2 years) so good.
IMGP2129.jpg

I'm also concerned with broody hens. I have two right now and last year I had one. They do seem to hatch even in the cold but I take the chicks right away. The coop is uninsulated. The coop is tall and I wish there was a way to make more floor space by adding another level inside.

23908_nick_and_eric_005.jpg
It's over 12 feet at least. This is last year. I've since covered the run with corrugated metal and add another on the end near the shovel in the pic. Both are covered with plastic.

I have exterior nest boxes on my bantam coop. Only the floor is insulated. I haven't had a problem the past two winters even though they have been cold. 5 of the dopey bantams that refuse to roost have stopped laying in front of the door and all huddle in the two boxes, so I guess they are not that much colder than the rest of the coop. I love being able to get the eggs from the outside. I have thick rubber under the top hinge & a hasp with a snap hook on the slide to close them.

Back
Top Bottom