What Causes An Odd Ball In A Hatch?}}Pics

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by 1234duck, Jul 28, 2011.

1. 1234duck

1234duck Chillin' With My Peeps

1 out of 9 babies was Different~}} These were Golden Cascade eggs, the last count was up to 6 when I noticed that the ROUEN started sitting on the nest. The GC would only go on nest long enough to lay an egg. The Rouen still had her babies here(3weeks old) but four days later when i got rid of all the babies is when she sat on the nest more/longer. I hi-jacked the eggs on day 26 & hatched them in the incubator. (There were 11 eggs, 2 not fully developed). 1 of the 9 babies is different.}}} I thought a good month of not breeding with the Rouen drake & only being pinned with the GC drake would result in GC babies only. Do you think the baby is a left over in her system from the Rouen drake? [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] the 3 babies were born a day after the others thats why the other brooder. Thanks, ~Julie~

2. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    It's a possibility...but what a long shot IMO...Cute little duck,though! And just think....you'll know that one for sure from the others!
    I have only read that they CAN remain fertile for that long...so I am no expert....hope someone with more knowledge can tell you for sure [​IMG]

3. Czech's_chicks

Czech's_chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    Vista, CA
    If it's not then it could be some mallard genetics coming out...sometimes you just get one that the gene is very prominent in. You are lucky, I miss little fuzzy mud puppies!

4. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    I haven't checked on this about ducks, but I have heard of some female birds being able to hold onto sperm for a long period of time.

5. Senna95

Senna95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Woodland
    Your duckling is definately not pure rouen. Looks like it's probably got some blue in it. Most likely a rouen/golden cascade cross.

6. 1234duck

1234duck Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes I know it's not pure Rouen.. I thought it should have been pure Golden Cascade but i guess not. They were GC eggs & my Rouen hen sat on them. The last GC babies were Born in May & they were mixed, GC/Rouen. Those babies also were the same colors. Heres the babies born in May, GC/Rouen mixed [​IMG] ~Julie~

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by