What causes one chicken to be smaller?

ARose4Heaven

Songster
10 Years
Apr 16, 2009
Flippin, AR
I have 38 chickens, from 3 different "batches". 10 are Buff Orppington hens. They are my youngest at 8 weeks old. One of these is about half the size of the others. She eats well, and seems energetic and happy. Should I be looking for something wrong with her, or just wait for her to catch up?

Last edited:
if it isn't a bantam

also is she kept from the feed or water if you watch her actions with the others?

it may have something wrong with its insides
also it may not be absorbing the feed

put 2 tbsp of apple cider vinegar to gallon of water

and if you would use some means of feeding her or the whole bunch the wet mash probiotic with vit E in it

one chick
2 tsp of dry crumble feed
3 tsp of milk
1 tsp of yoguart
and cut a 400 mg vitE capsule and put it in the wet mash
do this twice a week for her or them
this will help her to get some help in the body dept

MULTIPLY THE NUMBER OF CHICKS TIMES THE AMT FOR ONE CHICK IF FEEDING SEVERAL CHICKS THIS WET MASH

any questions email me

Last edited:
I will go to town tomorrow and pick up that stuff. Thanks. I am thinking after reading some of the things here that all of my chickens may benefit from a worming. Some of them have runny poop. They are outdoors a lot in the chicken yard, which was a hog lot many eons ago...I know for a fact that my cats and dogs are due a worming.

well if worming do so with wazine either strength

and then after worming see that they get the ACV in the water
and the wet mash probiotic with Vit E

any questions email me

One of My SLW's (Delilah) is much smaller than the other chicks (various breeds) that are the same age (even her sister, Bettie). I have 6 chicks who are all 6 weeks and Delilah has been the runt from the get go. We kept a really close eye on her when they were still in the brooder, but she seems to be thriving . . . Is it possible that they are just runts?

idunno.gif

People, dogs, cats can all be 'runts' so I don't see why not?

I figure they(chickens) can't ALL be cookie cutter replicas....

But thats just my thoughts.....

As long as it is filling out normally for its size and doesnt feel too thin. If its got good muscle tone, maybe it is just a runt?

e

Last edited:
I've got a runty GLW and she's about 1/3 smaller than the others, they're all 8 weeks old.

I love her, she is so tough.

Whenever anyone tries to start anything with her, she puts both her wings out, stands up tall, and pecks them on the top of their insolent little heads. She's great. She also paired up with the biggest, bossiest other chick, and the two of them don't take anything from anyone.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom