What Chicken Breed is this?

Goma

Chirping
9 Years
Sep 14, 2010
Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone can help me identify this breed of chicken. It's rather small, maybe a bantam of sorts. It's only around 1/3 the size of the other breed of chickens I got and they are super fast. In fact they can basically fly up onto a tree. They survived a whole snowy winter on their own practically on their own.

Also, just wondering if anyone knows how long until eggs go bad if fertizilized. Found some eggs buried in dirt, probably at least a few months old. Is it still possible to hatch in an incubator? I am guessing not but just thought I might ask anyways.

Thanks in advance!
chicken 2.jpg
chicken 3.jpg

chicken4.jpg

Attachments

• chicken.jpg
    chicken.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 10
  • chicken4.jpg
    chicken4.jpg
    376.6 KB · Views: 9
Thanks for your replies. It does look a bit like Old English Game @cavemanrich.

Do you think there's any chance of hatching 3-4 month old eggs that been left in the field outside? Even if it's a really low hatch rate.

If you mean how long will an egg remain viable or hatch when set, eggs go down hill rapidly after 7 days, and a 3 week old egg will not hatch, at least not often. If you are intending to eat these eggs then I call your attention to Chinese 100 year old eggs.

... Do you think there's any chance of hatching 3-4 month old eggs that been left in the field outside? Even if it's a really low hatch rate.

I don't think that there is a chance that these eggs will hatch.

7-10 days is typically the max for eggs to be viable. I've found over the years 5-6 days is the best. After 6 and up to 10 your chances are still fairly good. After 10 very very few will hatch.

Your hen is a mixed breed bantam. She has the typically Old English Game shape. But she has a rose comb and a small crest so she has other genes from other breeds in her. Her crest most likely comes from Polish or maybe Silkie way back in her breeding. And the rose comb could have came from Wyandotte, Sebright, or Rosecomb in her background.

Back
Top Bottom