What chicken breeds are best for holding/tame?

I suspect its partly the breed, partly the genetics and partly if they were handled.

My 1st 3 girls were an Easter Egger, a Buff Orp and a Black Australorpe. I got them as 1 day old chicks and handled them every day. The Orpington was very sweet and liked to fly up on my lap and sit on my shoulder. The Australorpe is the calmest chicken ever...I am not sure if she *likes* being petted but she has never run away from me and just stands there and lets me pick her up. The EE is not into being held but is social and will fly on my lap when I sit on the patio. If I reach for her she flies off, but shes light and a little skittish.

My Buff Orp died unexpectedly. I ended up with a 12 week old Brahma (long story) who had never really been handled. A week after I brought her home she was injured by the BA when she flew into the big girl pen and I HAD to handle her to treat her wound and shift her around. She tamed up in like a week. I ended up giving her several baths since her wound care stuff gummed up her feathers and she seemed to LOVE being held, and washed and dried. She is still such a gentle sweet bird.

My 4th is a Marans I bought at 6 weeks old to keep the injured chick company (again, long story) and she is the spookiest, flightiest thing. Even in the coop where my other bird allow me to handle them and reach towards them she FREAKS out and panics. Shes a year old and still runs as fast from us as she can and just now will eat food from my hand.

My Barred Rocks mostly enjoy cuddles, Buffy the buff orphington does, and my Polish top hats do (Lottie screams when I pick her up and also flaps but always quickly settles in for some pets). The silver laced Wyandotte gals tolerate me because I bring food and water (they don't like anyone though, even one another and especially NOT Jack the rooster). My two ISA browns are just fine with whatever- petting, health check ups, etc. and like to hang out if I'm near by. I've had red Leghorns that were skittish as chicks but liked petting as they got older..

What chicken breeds are best for holding/ human interaction? I have been curious and been wanting to know based off of your experience. Thank you and happy holidays!
Our friendliest chicken is a cream legbar. She is the first to greet us, and often will stand at our feet until we pick her up. She will snuggle up and sleep in our arms and has even laid a few eggs on one of my sons. Super sweet chicken! I also think that handling them a lot helps. Most of our chickens are pretty friendly, but we got them 1 day old and are either handled or have contact with us daily.

The chicks I want to handle have never had any calm reaction when picked up. I try to catch them, but they cluck and flap their wings to get away. I have only succeeded once, when the chicks were small enough to under their old coop in their pen.I picked it up, it acted as if it were wild. They was hatched and raised by a broody hen. They were kept with their mom to learn how to forage and other chicken things. The two breeds I am certain are in the brood are leghorns and barred/Plymouth rock. They look like adults, but are still not laying eggs. Still too young.
The two chickens I have that were raised by my broody hen are also not very tame and I cannot get near them unless it is dark and they are on the roost. They act like they are wild chickens too.

My most friendly, cuddly chickens are a Dorking, Lav Eng Orpington, and 55 Flowery hen. In that order.

The Dorking is a natural lap bird who was never trained or rewarded for it. Loves to perch on my arm or shoulder for 15+ minutes at a time, and occasionally sleep while she's there. She might just be my favorite chicken ever.

Or a maran.
Actually, French Marans do have feathered feet. Also the "s" in Marans is part of the actual breed name, it's not plural. They originate in Marans, France.

I love my Silkies! My girls squat down when I get near them .I give them a few pets and scratches and off they go. I had a rooster that would sit on my lap for hours and fall asleep. He lived to be 9 years old.I have 6 hens and one rooster. When I go to the coop I call them each by name and they respond in their own way.Having them is therapeutic.I enjoy spending time in the coop watching and listening to them.Silkies are actually very social birds.When I am go outside they will come running up to me...probably because they know they are going to get a treat .:) They are fantastic egg layers. I have two that are broody right now.I am getting an egg a day.Hubby built me a new coop and run this summer.♥♥ I didn't even have to ask.

Attachments

• coop.jpg
    coop.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 13
  • hens.jpg
    hens.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
I agree my RIR is the sweetest hen also! My Speckled Sussex is the hen that is also very sweet up until she’s molting lol now she’s just a meanie lol to the RIR must be her hormones during molting also my Plymouth Barred Rock is also sweet I need to mention also my White Leghorn can be sweet

Every spring we hatch out some eggs...every spring they're different breeds. Each of my kids pick out a favorite chick and raise is as they're own. No matter what breed they pick, those chickens are always very friendly and like to be held or petted. One year my son had an Easter egger following him around like a puppy, while the rest of them were skittish as all get out. ...I really think it depends on how much attention they get as to how friendly they are.

Orpingtons Marans black Sex Links Old English game bantams Brahmas and Turkens!

Attachments

• 6FAF6222-943A-42B5-BBF9-89FFF8546452.jpeg
    6FAF6222-943A-42B5-BBF9-89FFF8546452.jpeg
    428.8 KB · Views: 10
  • D8EBAB3A-0AA6-4D5B-9D46-43D9F8078692.jpeg
    D8EBAB3A-0AA6-4D5B-9D46-43D9F8078692.jpeg
    563 KB · Views: 9
  • 1BD979D7-5DA0-4FF1-B189-3757D83C8BC8.jpeg
    1BD979D7-5DA0-4FF1-B189-3757D83C8BC8.jpeg
    314.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 1ED6695F-6C73-48B2-853E-559FC8EC53D7.jpeg
    1ED6695F-6C73-48B2-853E-559FC8EC53D7.jpeg