What chicken coop do you have and what do you like about it

Hollywood Chickens, you need 2-3 Sq Ft indoors & 3-4 sq ft outdoors per chicken. Also, you dont need 14 nest boxes for 15 chickens--only about 6-7

henney penny, I LOVE YOUR ROOSTS & Cleaning system!!!!!!! I was considering ceramic tile boards under rossts but wow! This looks SSSOOOO simple!!

We have remodeled ours 3 times...but we love it, didn't have a clue when we started, but I love it now

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=41441

41441_1coopd.jpg

41441_1coopa.jpg

i built a catawba coop....phew!!! my first build! cute, nice curb apeal, but not very practical unless you're young and nimble. i'm not. i have trouble getting food, water, oyster shell, grit and snacks in and out of the downstairs (floor). not to mention that by the time all of that is in there, a 2x4 sf area is unusable. i'm building a new coop (4x6)with a people door and attached 14 x 6 ft. run. i'm so excited! i'm basing it on all the great coops and ideas i've found on this site!! thanks everyone!

I have a playhouse coop raised off the ground, with an interior nest box with an exterior door for egg collection.
Its advantages: I don't have to bend over to clean, I don't have to walk through poopy litter, there's space underneath so they can get out of the weather, the run is secure so in the summer when it's hot they can stay outside if they want, the house is small enough that six of them can cuddle and keep warm in cold, really cold, winters, it sits up high enough to catch cross breezes and it's easy to clean.

The house is 24 sq. feet, the enclosure is 60 sq ft and there's an attatched 100 sq ft run and outside of that is a huge backyard (to which they are denied access for all but a couple of hours due to wanton destruction of everything they can get their feet on). I cannot think of anything I'd change about it. Maybe a gabled roof.

Mary

update: He could not deliver it because it was too heavy to move so we went and bought a shed from home depot
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053
In the store it was $400 it works really nicely.
It has windows, air vents, a locking door, a floor and holes to put up roosts and shelves!!!
and it only took 2 1/2 ( 2 adults and an 11 year old) 2 hours to put together!!

Back
Top Bottom