what chickens are good layers

ingv8700

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 18, 2008
Pequot Lakes, MN
Hello,
I have red stars and buff orpingtons (spelling) and Polish not sure the type it is.

so here is my question.

We are looking for some really good easter egg laying chickens that are heartey. because we have 18 hens and 2 roosters and we need more to keep up with the demand on the eggs.

Please help!

I loved my red stars... Great layers. They say hamburgs are everyday layers. Smaller eggs but they say they are good layers. I think any hen is good layer if you feed them properly. I always say happy hens make eggs! I have a variety of breeds and they all lay a egg a day or every other day. I love my chickens and they love me back. But now I think I have a broody and I have to hear about me taking the eggs. Well...I would let her lay but I don't have a roo. Crazy girl.
lol.png

If you really want tinted eggs, big eggs and lots of them, I have a few Easter Eggers from Ideal Poultry (They call them Ameracaunas). They are laying machines.

I also have Ameracauna's (the real deal). Their eggs are not as large.

White Eggs - Lehorns all they way.
Brown Eggs - Sexlinks ( you have them already).

Last edited:
Most hatcheries sell EEs, which are hardy cross breed tinted egg layers. They will lay brown, green and blue eggs in most cases. You can't go wrong with them, they are great layers.

It depends were you getting them from:

a breeder will tell you about their stock

hatcheries I know
Meyers & Ideal rate their best egg layers in there catalogs
Crackle & Welp have their better layers in layinf breeds

depends were you are too Meyershatchery.com has starters pretty good price if you pick up

hope I helped

We have 2 EE and one is laying 5 out of 7 days very pretty light pastel blue eggs. The other has started yet but we're hoping she has the same rate.

My EEs from Ideal are very good summer layers, and laid well their first winter. Their second winter was during a full molt, and they haven't started laying again. I think that most hatchery EEs are cross bred for productivity, so you'll get a good supply of tinted eggs.

Back
Top Bottom