1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what chickens should i get, some help please

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by antonaustin1, Dec 2, 2013.

1. antonaustin1

antonaustin1 New Egg

Dec 1, 2013
    Hi guys, I'm getting chickens soon, but I'm not sure what breed to get. i really like the pekin bantams and the silkies because there small and a friendly bird. I'm building a coop and it will be able to hold about 4-6 chickens. i think i will get 1 silkie and a couple of pekins, but i want a small-medium chicken that lays and average amount of eggs like 4 eggs a week but i want it to be friendly. i don't want them running away from me. could somebody give me advise.. thanks

2. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    Hmmm. I would find this much easier if it was LF you are after. Silkies really aren't the best layers so you might not even get 4 eggs a week and they go broody a lot. Pekins are average layers but will most likely also go broody. I would recommend an Ancona bantam but im not sure how tame they would be. I have one and she is nice, I can catch her if I really want to but its not easy. She lays lots of eggs though so that makes up for it. If you change your mind to LF I would recommend ex batts, sex link (same as ex batts but ex batts have been in the cages), Sussex or Orpingtons :). Sorry I couldn't be more help. I hope you find the hen that suits you best!

3. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    Oh and you can get bantam versions of Sussex and Orpingtons, but I'm just not sure how tame they are.

4. The Yakima Kid

The Yakima Kid Cirque des Poulets

You could try a Barred Rock bantam or two. White Leghorn bantams are much friendlier and calmer than their large fowl counterparts.

The old saying is that if you don't know what you want, consider utility Barred Rocks. If tamed as chicks they become quite friendly and charming. They lay reasonably well, they are quiet, and unlike bantams and some others, they aren't particularly inclined to flying.

5. SilkiesForEver

SilkiesForEver Overrun With Chickens

Mar 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    I love my old English games and d'Uccles. The OEGB's lay quite well, and have feisty personalities for being so small. The only problem is, because they are so small they tend to fly enormous distances. But, clipping their wing feathers would stop that. They are also very friendly, and make great pets. d'Uccles are a little less high-strung, and have calm dispositions. They come in lovely colors, as OEGB's do also, and lay quite little cream colored eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by