what clues are there to know when a chicken is going to start laying eggs

Just a little note since it's been about three weeks or so since our four girls started to finally lay eggs. From inception, each egg has been perfect, and only once - upon cleaning the coop - did I see what was probably a shell-less egg (pretty danged slimy). They did start out small and over the last weeks have gradually gotten bigger and bigger (and will probably get bigger still), but there were a few (2 or 3) outliers where the egg was at least double in size - and those all had double yolks. Pretty cool.

My girls began to squat down in front of me shortly before they began to lay and now that they all lay, they still do it. I actually quite like it - gives me an opportunity to touch them, inspect them for any injuries (thus far, none are noted) and generally praise them for their daily gifts to me and my family (and now friends and neighbors if we don't start eating these eggs).

There have only been three days since they started laying where we had a 4-egg day, mostly we have three egg days and rarely just two eggs.

I hope to never lose that moment of anticipation and excitement when I go down to say hello to my girls (who begin to squawk and run to me the minute they know I'm coming) and find that they've left me a gift of their body's hard work. I am a nurse and I've worked ICU/CCU and ER for years. Before considering where I would hang my shingle in my career I always knew that the baby unit, OB, would never be for me because I never want to lose that feeling that the miracle of procreation gives to me. Bless those nurses that do work this field, and please no offense to them at all, but they do have to focus on the mom and the baby... and later on perhaps... the miracle that occurred right in front of them.

Anyhow, I blather on.
Mel

How many hens do you have and how old were they went they started giving you their egg gifts? Mine are over 4 weeks now and we saw last night that they have started growing combs! So cool. This whole process is fabulous!

How many hens do you have and how old were they went they started giving you their egg gifts? Mine are over 4 weeks now and we saw last night that they have started growing combs! So cool. This whole process is fabulous!

Hi, we only have 4 hens and my first egg was at 19 weeks exactly; I saw two eggs a week later and then began to see three soon after than. Today, again, we had four... the girls are cranking them out.

I am soaking some of their grain today, going to try this "fermented" feed thing and see how that works and if they like it. Seems a simple thing and everyone says it's good for 'em.

Well, we got them from Murray McMurray hatchery and they do have a guarantee on the sex (tho it probably says 90% somewhere in the small print). We are such newbies we need all the help we can get. The only reason I know they have combs is because my coop is coming next week and they are a bit squished because they are growing in their watering trough we bought them and expected the coop 2 weeks ago. Okay, run-on sentence. So we got an outdoor playpen for them and take them out for an hour morning and late pm so we see them up really close and the combs are tiny. It helps that we move the pen so each time they get to get a part of the lawn cleaned of bugs. Oh, the little darlings are so spoiled and we don't know any better! lol Anyway, back to my question, how many gals do you have?

Glad to hear those eggs are coming. The way to figure out which eggs came from which hen is to keep checking the boxes often. If you see the hen in the box & 30 min later there's an egg in that box, BINGO. It took me a couple months to get everything correct. Some we know by color & others by their overall shape. My daughter was the one who had to teach me. She made a daily record chart & puts an X next to the hen's name for that day. Our highest hen had a 5 month streak of daily eggs. She just took a day off last week, so we'll have to start her count over. Eventually you'll even see an egg come out. (After laying in the nest, they stand up & squat a little. That's the time to watch. You'll see some pulsing at the vent & plop, the egg comes out. It's amazing!) Ours are extremely tame, so I'm guessing they don't mind.
I'd love to see an egg come out, but I always feel like I'm invading their privacy if I open the nesting box from the outside and they're in there. They don't seem to notice me, so I guess I should try.

I can definitely tell the difference between the eggs now, but with only two, it's pretty easy. Janet lays daily, and her eggs are dark. Penny isn't daily yet, but she's an early bird and her eggs are lighter. I know other people who have kept a chart of the eggs, too, but I'm already behind on that, so I'll just enjoy them without tracking. I went on vacation and told my pet sitter she could take the eggs, but she's a teenager and didn't take one. I was so glad when I came home and found a basket full of eggs! I also had a giant zucchini and a ton of tomatoes. I made a frittata with some garden grown herbs and store bought goat cheese. I need my own goats, and I'd be all set!

Gorgeous frittata! My hens are 5 weeks old today so a bit early for thinking of eggs but I'm learning. I got carried away on the goat issue too. I love goat cheese so I told DH I wanted to get a goat. Now we really do have our chickens (or will have as soon as our Hen House comes next week) in the back yard and they will free range all over except for my vegetable garden area which we will fence off. However a goat would eat our otherwise ornamental garden so I guess no goat. Dang! And here I was willing to learn how to make goat cheese (in my mind at least) and no goat mild availability. So there goes that fun.

Thanks to all of you for sharing your wisdom about chickens. I will wait until they start to lay and then I will try to figure out who is doing what! What fun!

Gorgeous frittata! My hens are 5 weeks old today so a bit early for thinking of eggs but I'm learning. I got carried away on the goat issue too. I love goat cheese so I told DH I wanted to get a goat. Now we really do have our chickens (or will have as soon as our Hen House comes next week) in the back yard and they will free range all over except for my vegetable garden area which we will fence off. However a goat would eat our otherwise ornamental garden so I guess no goat. Dang! And here I was willing to learn how to make goat cheese (in my mind at least) and no goat mild availability. So there goes that fun.

Thanks to all of you for sharing your wisdom about chickens. I will wait until they start to lay and then I will try to figure out who is doing what! What fun!
We can't have goats, or any livestock other than a few chickens, but my in-laws have land. It's a fantasy of ours to raise friendly little goats on their property. Probably much more fantasy than future reality! I got my girls at about 5 weeks. You'll be amazed at how quickly they grow. Enjoy getting to know them. While I was anxious for them to lay, I didn't realize how entertaining they'd be.

We already have a fence around our vegetable garden to keep the dogs out, but yes, you'll need to do that for the chickens. After I pull my summer crop, though, I'm going to let them have at it. When I clean the coop, I put their droppings in my compost bin, but I figure they can fertilize directly this Fall. I usually garden in the winter, and their droppings would be too potent, but I think my soil needs a break so I'm going to let them turn it over for me.

What a terrific idea! (To let them at the vegetable garden at the end of the season.) I will do that. I lived for 37 years in LA and grew vegetables all year round. Here we have something called "winter"...it includes a bit of snow, ice and sleet and really cold temperatures. lol But before that, I could let them roam around that garden, knowing I will be rotor tilling next spring. It would be wonderful if they added their bits to over-winter. Then early next spring, our compost (with their additions) could be tilled it. I am so glad you mentioned this!

Back
Top Bottom