what clues are there to know when a chicken is going to start laying eggs

I have 4 Blue Andalusian hens (plus one Rooster), 5 Columbian Wyandotte hens, 5 Silver Laced Wyandotte hens, 5 Partridge Rock hens and 4 Barred Rock hens. All 19 weeks old today. On the duck side I have 3 Khaki Campbell ducks (one drake, 2 females), 2 Blue Swedish ducks (one drake one female) 19 Cayuga ducks (3 drakes, 16 females). Of the Cayuga ducks 15 are less than 2 weeks old (3 drakes and 15 ducks). Then I have three Toulouse geese (one gander and two females). On top of that there are 8 dogs, one Anatolian, one Greyhound/Lab mix, one German Short Haired Pointer, one Pomeranian, 2 Mastiff/Boxer/Pit Bull mixes, one Rhodesian/Pit mix and one Sheltie. The dogs are all rescues and all have a physical handicap of some sort or another. But they earn their keep in every way that is important (love, affection, protection).

By the way, the chickens have been with me since they were less than a full day old and when I let them out in their free range they all line up and follow me like little dogs.

After much research on this subject, I've found a couple of things happen. 1. The comb and waddle get very red and start growing bigger, and 2. When you reach down as if to pick them up, the chicken will squat and hold very still almost like its frozen.
I have four pullets 20 weeks old and only one has shown these signs and we got our first egg from her yesterday.
welcome-byc.gif
goodpost.gif
Thanks for sharing!!!
I can't pick mine up, but I've seen the squatting you're talking about. (and the reddening of the facial skin)

When my chicken first started squatting, I could not quite fit two fingers between her pelvic bones. A couple days later, I could fit two fingers.

Two days before she laid, I could fit 3 fingers between her pelvic bones.

Good to know!!!
Thanks so much for sharing!!! =D

I have 4 Blue Andalusian hens (plus one Rooster), 5 Columbian Wyandotte hens, 5 Silver Laced Wyandotte hens, 5 Partridge Rock hens and 4 Barred Rock hens. All 19 weeks old today. On the duck side I have 3 Khaki Campbell ducks (one drake, 2 females), 2 Blue Swedish ducks (one drake one female) 19 Cayuga ducks (3 drakes, 16 females). Of the Cayuga ducks 15 are less than 2 weeks old (3 drakes and 15 ducks). Then I have three Toulouse geese (one gander and two females). On top of that there are 8 dogs, one Anatolian, one Greyhound/Lab mix, one German Short Haired Pointer, one Pomeranian, 2 Mastiff/Boxer/Pit Bull mixes, one Rhodesian/Pit mix and one Sheltie. The dogs are all rescues and all have a physical handicap of some sort or another. But they earn their keep in every way that is important (love, affection, protection).

By the way, the chickens have been with me since they were less than a full day old and when I let them out in their free range they all line up and follow me like little dogs.

Sounds like a petting zoo!
thumbsup.gif

I wish mine lined up too!!! Mine practically scatter. lol

Subhanalah,
I am really glad you posted that. I was going to start a thread asking how soon before they lay their pelvic bones spread. I have 6 pullets, 11-12 weeks old. The youngest are ISA browns and I am assuming they will lay first. I know we still have at least 5 weeks til they lay but out of curiosity I checked all of their pelvic bones and could only get one finger in between them. I had just assumed that the spreading of their bones would be more gradual and was disappointed that they weren't further along. But it sounds like it all happens pretty quickly so I'll check again in a few weeks.

Last edited:
Subhanalah,
I am really glad you posted that.  I was going to start a thread asking how soon before they lay their pelvic bones spread.  I have 6 pullets, 11-12 weeks old.  The youngest are ISA browns and I am assuming they will lay first.  I know we still have at least 5 weeks til they lay but out of curiosity I checked all of their pelvic bones and could only get one finger in between them.  I had just assumed that the spreading of their bones would be more gradual and was disappointed that they weren't further along.  But it sounds like it all happens pretty quickly so I'll check again in a few weeks. 
glad I could help.

One of my hens laid her first egg today. You can tell by how small it is compared to the other two. (It's the one on the right)

Back
Top Bottom