What color are these silkies ?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by poultrykeeper08, Feb 25, 2009.

1. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I thought the first one was a partridge but it is ofly red
    and the second one i first thought was a grey then it got dark like a blue but it has some tan on its wings is it a blue partridge ?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Looks buff and blue. The buff is smutty..pretty common on them.

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    The first one is really close to ginger red--sometimes it's hard to tell an exact shade on a computer, but that is what it looks like on mine--looks a bit too red to be buff, but not quite as red as ginger should be. BTW, ginger red should have the bluish undercoat, but it is not a recognised variety for silkies. IT is a really nice colour. I have a ginger red cockeral whose colour is much like your's, but your boy has a much better crest and type.

The next is a bit of a mish mash--I have had ones like that. It isn't partridge--not nearly enough penciling, although if it's a male it could develop more colour in the male pattern areas. But hte breast looks lighter and that doesn't fit. It's definitely not grey--for one thing grey would have more pattern (see above comments about partridge), and would not have any gold/red colouring (including the tan). For now I'd say call it a possible blue.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by