• Purple

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

SunHwaKwon

Crowing
6 Years
Jul 19, 2015
North Central Florida
I have to say, I really love EEs. I've though about reducing my flock down to primarily EEs, but I also really like having a variety of egg colors. I have one full grown LF EE that lays a medium green egg and a bantam one that lays blue. I have six EE chicks - 3 sexed chicks from Cackle (2F, 1M) and 3 straight run chicks from Tractor Supply (so, Hoovers probably). I've been thinking about the egg colors of EE, and how everyone hopes for blue/green, but I really wouldn't mind if some layed brown or even white eggs. So I want to find out how common certain colors are, and feel free to comment about the color they lay and their exterior characteristics, such as presence/absence of muffs or pea comb, leg color, and source (if known).

Feel free to include pictures of the girls and/or their eggs.

My current 3, lay light green eggs. 2 have muffs, 1 doesn't. I have no photos of them because they don't hold still long enough. They are from last year.

This is the first time I've had some in a few years and these are laying better that the few I had in the past. The birds from a few years ago were closer in type to Americana, these now I can see are a bit more mutt. I guess the trade off for better production.

My current 3, lay light green eggs. 2 have muffs, 1 doesn't. I have no photos of them because they don't hold still long enough. They are from last year.

This is the first time I've had some in a few years and these are laying better that the few I had in the past. The birds from a few years ago were closer in type to Americana, these now I can see are a bit more mutt. I guess the trade off for better production.

Where did you get them from (both groups)?

I get a range of shades from pale blue, turquoise, and army green. I've got nine Easter Egger hens right now, and each lays a different shade.
All have pea combs, but only 4 have muffs. Current breeding project goals are getting the muffs consistent and selecting for bluer eggs rather than the green.
I started with Ideal Poultry stock, but bred in Barred Rock to increase the overall size and introduce the barring gene.

Last edited:
All my birds are a mix of hatchery EE's and a Welsummer cock.
This is just a couple days worth, but most are represented.

Hmm... maybe better examples, from one (record) day of laying.
Bluish eggs are from hatchery EE's.
All others are from Wellie/EE crosses.

Last edited:
All my birds are a mix of hatchery EE's and a Welsummer cock.
This is just a couple days worth, but most are represented.

Hmm... maybe better examples, from one (record) day of laying.
Bluish eggs are from hatchery EE's.
All others are from Wellie/EE crosses.

So, to clarify, all the hens are EEs, with some being offspring of the Welsummer male? Or you have Welsummer hens as well?

ETA that makes me feel better about possibly downsizing to just the EEs and Marans :)

Last edited:
Quote: Yes. I only hatch the bluest eggs from the EE's.
Have backcrossed once and only got one blue sheller, but overall egg color is more dark khaki than olive.

I have one Wellie hen but her eggs are quite porous,
and I've only had one develop and hatch and that was a pullet egg(from first 1-2 weeks laying) under a friends broody.

All my birds are a mix of hatchery EE's and a Welsummer cock. This is just a couple days worth, but most are represented. [COLOR=B42000] [/COLOR] Hmm... maybe better examples, from one (record) day of laying. Bluish eggs are from hatchery EE's. All others are from Wellie/EE crosses.
Those eggs are absolutely wonderful. Those Olive eggs are on my list of wants.

Back
Top Bottom