What Color?? (Indian Runner)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ducklover15, Jun 24, 2010.

1. ducklover15

ducklover15 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have this runner drake and I have no clue what color he is...

He started looking like a blue, now I have no idea. ^_^;

Before the drake molt: [​IMG]

After the drake molt:[​IMG]
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    I have never seen a transformation quite like that before...Blue - Trout ??? Sure is a handsome boy though.
  3. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Blue with a lot of rust? Rust is a common "fault" in a blue... is his head black, though? It looks darker than the rest. He is beautiful, but I don't know what color unless it's a rusty blue.
  4. ducklover15

His head is a dark gray.

All that brown definitely surprised me! He's molting again, so hopefully he'll eventually end up more blue! =]
  5. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    Quote:Not Trout (he'd have a neck ring and a claret breast)...but maybe Blue Dusky??? He DID look Blue, but after the molt, he looks sort of Khaki. [​IMG]

What color was he as a duckling? I have a young drake that I think is a Blue Dusky, and he's a little different shade than yours, ducklover15. I don't have a recent picture of him, but here he was awhile ago, in juvenile plumage before his first molt (he's an Indian Runner x Dutch Hookbill cross). The brown on him was apparent right from the start:
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2010
  6. ducklover15

I'll look to see if i have duckling pictures of him. I'm pretty sure he was a solid gray color.
  7. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    Hmmm....my guy was more of a sooty blue-brown:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
  8. CityChicker

CityChicker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Weird color. I'm not sure. He does look like he is Khaki with Blue. I would say Blue Dusky too, but something else appears to be going on as well. Khaki with Blue (Blue Dusky plus Brown dilution) is Cinnamon. Maybe he is Cinnamon? I do not raise Cinnamons, so I am not sure. The next color in that series is Fawn and he definitely is not Fawn. He is gorgeous!

Editing to add- Check out the other Runner color thread. Froggie posted a picture of a Cinnamon that should shed some light on the other birds in question. [​IMG]
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  9. ducklover15

I found some pictures of him as a baby. He's the one without the yellow on the chest. He's the mostly solid gray color one. I guess he does have some yellow though....

He's the one in the front in this picture.
  10. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    I don't know but the color change is amazing. Wow. Wouldn't that be something if the next time he molted he would change to a totally different color......... or do they???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by