1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What color is my duck??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by blueducklings, Aug 16, 2011.

1. blueducklings

blueducklings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2011
    Redmond, WA
    I have 12 ducks from Holderreads and half are suppose to be cinnamons, but they kind of look different. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] The 1st & 3rd drake from left...Oreo & Hersheys.
    [​IMG] This is my baby...Bonbon.
    Can anyone tell me what color these 2 brown males are? I've been to many sites and have no luck. UK and US colors are a bit different.
    I did see the cinnamon at the rumball site, but the brown male looks like a runner version of the KC. ??
    I am guessing the trout looking one is cinnamon, but what about the other one?
    Then the girls...I think one is apricot and the others? I have no clue. Maybe cinnamon? Lavender? Lilac? Brown? KC?
    I love them all, but I do need to decide on maybe just 2 boys. Right now I have 5 boys and 8 girls. Too crazt/noisy.
    Thanks

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  2. rollyard

rollyard Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2010
    The birds (Cinnamons) seen on the Rumball Runners site are, although quite difficult to see clearly, different genetically colour-wise to the Cinnamons you have in the states. Your Cinnamon are dark phase dusky with buff (& ? brown) dilution/s, plus heterozygous for blue dilution. So they would/should be similar to Buff ducks in that they will be true dusky without claret bib & neck ring in drakes etc. Both of those drakes do appear to have one dose of blue, but the one with claret bib would likely be light or harlequin phase, but can't tell from that photo if dusky? Have a look under wing & if any pigmentation then probably is light phase dusky.

The duck does look about what I would expect from a Cinnamon (maybe lighter?) as that described for North America, although I guess it is possible that she is pure for blue dilution (& therefore what we call Blonde & you call Buff)! Have a look under her wing also; she should be similar colour to thigh coverts.

3. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Why not contact the Holderreads? Their crazy busy season is past and I'm sure they'd be glad to answer your questions about the birds. I'd be surprised if they sent you something different than you ordered, but everyone makes mistakes--if they did make a mistake, they'll probably make it up to you.

Sorry I can't answer your question more directly--I'm not familiar with the rarer colors of Runner. They are pretty, though! [​IMG]

4. Quacking

Quacking Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2010
    Contact Holderreads - those photos of the birds on the Rumball runners site are all streched out of proportion- who knows he may have photoshopped the colours of the birds in the photos too. He may breed a lot of different colours, but pity the photos arent right. Too bad the colours cant be standardized across different countries as well.

What did you originally order? That might make it easier to work out exactly who is who.

5. blueducklings

blueducklings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2011
    Redmond, WA
    I ordered from Holderread's rare colors selection 5 Cinnamons. All SQ. Got 6 cinnamons instead...BONUS!! [​IMG]
    But I will e-mail the Holderreads and see if they can enlighten me on the colors they ended up to be. I do love all my brown ducks. They are so pretty. [​IMG]
    I hope to breed them so all my friends can have them too. [​IMG]
    I did look at a site that said BUFF and it does look like that. But it looks dusky too. Apricot dusky girl??
    I need to find out more on the genetics.
    Wish there was a book that has pictures of all the colors.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by