What color is my Faverolles hen? Mahogany? (with pics)

hyzenthlay

Songster
12 Years
Feb 26, 2009
SW PA
I got this hen from Meyer Hatchery, and she was sold as a salmon, of course. But as she's grown, I can see she's certainly not salmon--I think she looks mahogany, but I've had a hard time finding a definition of that term as it applies to Faverolles, or even good quality pics. So are there any experts on here that can give an opinion on my girl, Pennyroyal? In all these first pics she's about 23 weeks old:

Front:
3953724955_2a64f0d78f.jpg

Side (her head and face are really muddy here, sorry):
3953887707_2005ed98a6.jpg

Back:
3953905773_dcd49d7835.jpg

headshot:
3954509534_09d6ff753d.jpg

I noticed that her muff is getting whiter as she ages--here she is at about 15 weeks old:
3734222274_436b25f2e1.jpg

baby picture, if it helps (1 week old):
3450040189_3a246af025.jpg

Do you have any other comments about her, besides color? Pennyroyal is just the sweetest and most outgoing/friendly of my 3 hens--she seems like the smartest and most adventurous, too. She has just started laying in the last week or so, and her eggs are darker than I was expecting--probably too dark for a Faverolles--here's a pic--what do you think? I have the hardest time finding Faverolles egg pics online, too.

3954635140_4b03bc81c5.jpg

One of these is her egg, and one belongs to my Silver Laced Wyandotte--they're practically indistinguishable.

Thanks!!!

Actually she is a Salmon Faverolle. Mahogony are not laced like the Salmon in my experience. They are much like a heritage RIR with dark feathers in the tail. The roos have some flaming color in the wings and are very stricking.

I have noticed that the Faverolle photos I have seen from Hatchery Chickens are darker in color often times than the standard calls for. There is a variation in the depth of salmon coloring but a good quality Salmon Faveroll hen will not have any black and be a rich salmon on cream or ivory base feathers.

Interesting, thank you. I guess I thought because she was so dark, and didn't seem to have any lacing on her body (just that little bit left around her breast), and had the black in her tailfeathers and around her neck that she wasn't salmon. I know the salmon weren't supposed to have black in the muff, but I wasn't sure if it was allowed for mahogany. I read that mahogany was supposed to have an all cream breast (no black), which I think she has. Also, I was surprised by how fast her black muff feathers are being replaced with white--I wonder if that's normal, and if she'll end up will all white eventually.

She looks heterozygous for melanotic or some other black intensifier. If she is heterozygous she will add more black to her hackles as she gets older.

Tim

Back
Top Bottom