What color is this baby turkey?

aleksgill

Chirping
May 1, 2019
Oak Ridge, NC
So I got a shipment of mixed turkeys and I'm baffled by some of them. The potential genes in this group include black, white, brown/auburn, black winged bronze, black winged bronze with a red gene, and the last are heterozygous black/bronze, split grey and white, and homozygous Narragansett.

So what is this one? A weird black? Rusty Black? I'm assuming black-based because it kind of looks to have a mask, but I've never seen a baby with a black snood! I'm still new at turkeys but I'm loving them.

mysterynew.jpg

mystery1wk.jpg

mysteryturkey.jpg

Is there anything specific that makes you think that? I was hoping to find more pictures of black with bronze (or black-winged bronze), especially baby pictures, but I've found nothing.
The first pics indicate that it is black based due to the mask and the black coloring. The last pic is showing much more bronze along with a little gray. The cg will cause the gray and if it is split to white (c), it will not affect the coloring because it takes two (cc) for the white to show and then the white masks everything else.

The first pics indicate that it is black based due to the mask and the black coloring. The last pic is showing much more bronze along with a little gray. The cg will cause the gray and if it is split to white (c), it will not affect the coloring because it takes two (cc) for the white to show and then the white masks everything else.

Okay, I was having so much trouble figuring out how much (if any) bronze or grey would show up. I'm including a few more pictures just in case anyone wants to see them for reference. I gotta get the rest of the babies their one month pictures, because they're a mix of some really neat colors!

Side view:
SJmEgrJ.jpg

Front view:
lxh4qxx.jpg

Wing!
HKc8DPW.jpg

Okay, I was having so much trouble figuring out how much (if any) bronze or grey would show up. I'm including a few more pictures just in case anyone wants to see them for reference. I gotta get the rest of the babies their one month pictures, because they're a mix of some really neat colors!

Side view:
View attachment 1890256

Front view:
View attachment 1890257

Wing!
View attachment 1890258
Remember that these are the juvenile feathers. The adult feathers should be different.

Back
Top Bottom